dog killed 15 hens and one is left with dog 2 dog bites. I have baytril. but not sure what to use.

mstkseavey,
How distressing this is. I would feel the same way if I saw my girl rolling like that. I have looked around this site and others. Do you think posting on emergencies with something in the title for help on how to take care of her.
Seems like it's a long haul.
Actually, it is rather depressing. The thing of it is, she is happy.
I would believe if anybody knows about how to care for a hen like Princess you do.

Thanks Mg! I was so sad to see her roll over. I was positive that it was going to work! I am worried about keeping her well over the winter. :(. So you think I should post another thread about her dislocation? I am sure it's more than I can handle. She is a happy girl. I do not think she is hurting. She is delayed developmentally because he comb is not developed. But she sings and rats and moves. Just not like the other girls. Most everyone says I should have put her down. And I just couldn't!

mstkseavey,
I thought your idea was genius. And you never know until you try.
The thing of it is, she is not in pain, she is happy, you love her. This is a site for backyard chickens. Inevitably they become our pets. At least for us. I know there are views from others who would cull her because of her injury. I understand their views. And respect them.
For me I have hen friends. AND THEY GIVE ME FOOD. I feed them, the girls lay eggs.
Posting in another thread for help is what this site is about. God Bless this site. !
It will be most interesting, eh? I'm with you on this journey !
My sex linked red dwarf is seven months old on the 11th. She is so small, I really don't think she will lay. She just seems not to be developing appropriately. I would be very surprised if she ever lays.

That is my exact thoughts as well. And your red sex link is a sweet little thing. I am not sure it matters if she lays. Just like Princess. I don't think I care if she does. I just want her well as she can be. And I am worried about her for the winter. :(. I am glad I found your thread. I he learned a lot from you and I appreciate your input on my backyard farm girl journey. Thank you.

That is my exact thoughts as well. And your red sex link is a sweet little thing. I am not sure it matters if she lays. Just like Princess. I don't think I care if she does. I just want her well as she can be. And I am worried about her for the winter.
sad.png
. I am glad I found your thread. I he learned a lot from you and I appreciate your input on my backyard farm girl journey. Thank you.

I woke up this a.m. thinking about Princess and how she can have a friend. An area wire caged something like that. Bring in the most docile hen you have into the cage with Princess and maybe they will bond. I notice here that some girls stick together. Except for "Quiet"the dwarf red. She is a loner.
But putting Princess with somebody might help the bonding. Expecially if you put them in a different place, like the garage, or a ride in the car.
I noticed after a change of scenery there is an attitude adjustment.

She's been visiting the nestbox the past two days and is squatting for me again, when I touch her. I think she's laid an egg the past two days, but it can be hard to tell, all my birds lay a brown egg. So hooray!
celebrate.gif

She's been visiting the nestbox the past two days and is squatting for me again, when I touch her. I think she's laid an egg the past two days, but it can be hard to tell, all my birds lay a brown egg. So hooray!
celebrate.gif
Yeah !! It is a joy when the girl can be a 100 %.....She is a pretty girl, AND she is laying...
You have a Plymouth Rock. ....I just got one about three weeks ago. Sure are BIG compared to the other girls. Not laying yet tho.

My white rocks are great gals, fairly docile, not too heavy and lay great. I have two partridge rocks as well and I call them my turkeys... they are ridiculous :hmm They are SO heavy for their size. They're gorgeous and very good at foraging, but boy do they pack on the pounds. One has some minor bumblefoot issues due to the weight. Their legs are clearly built for it though, their legs are twice as thick as any of my other birds' legs... huge feet and those ankles...
lol.png

Back to our regular broadcast
wink.png
(don't get me talking chicken... )

Mg15. My Princess Laya went to a forever home with my vet. My vet has a barn that is winterized! And she will have a buddy. Her new house mate is a rabbit! :). The vet was super excited to get her. And I was relieved to have a good place for her. She will be warm and with a roommate. And the vet will look her over and see if she can be fixed! Love Dr. Ivan!!

Mg15. My Princess Laya went to a forever home with my vet. My vet has a barn that is winterized! And she will have a buddy. Her new house mate is a rabbit!
smile.png
. The vet was super excited to get her. And I was relieved to have a good place for her. She will be warm and with a roommate. And the vet will look her over and see if she can be fixed! Love Dr. Ivan!!
OH SUCH GREAT NEWS !
So happy about this situation with Princess Laya.
She will be happy....
Dr. Ivan !!!! woot woot

Back
Top Bottom