dog killed 15 hens and one is left with dog 2 dog bites. I have baytril. but not sure what to use.

That's great news! Glad you found a solution you can live with
smile.png

Sad but happy. I wish she was still mine. Because regardless of what others say...I think she "loved" me. And you know how I feel about being responsible for her condition. Hopefully all things will work out with the birdie girl and I might get to see her t the vet's office living in one of the hutches there. :). I tried so hard to make things right with her and part of me feels like I have WON the race. While another part feels like I sorta gave up. But she will be happy and warm and accepted for who and what she is. :).

mstkseavey,
Understand completely.
If Whispers had not recovered to full function, it would be a dilema. I think you came upon an ideal situation for her. Who knows the vet might get her up and about like normal you can have her back.
If a vet would suggest to me he could take her, my thoughts would be he will take good care of her. You can always look in on her.
And as for her bonding with you that's what the hens do. Then they are life long friends. Such love.

I do miss caring for her. :(. She hopped around behind me like a puppy. :). But I am thrilled that she is living with our vet! And with a bunny buddy! Love that!!! Lol

[/quote]
Whispers and dog bites. She does not eat very much. I am concerned about not eating. She does have some poo. Her appetite is not good. Very deep on the one upper right, bone. I hope she makes it. Her name is Whispers. I suppose I could tube feed her. I saved a "how to tube" from an expert.
I see this is an old post but did you Jen survive her injuries? I am tearing a RIR right now with very similar wound. Just wondering if it will ever heal up. She has no sign of infection is eating and drinking well, but looks awful. She was on an attibiotc but is finished now.

Hi Whispers is doing very well she is still alive and is a high-ranking member in the flock she is well-respected and she eats everything and lays eggs and she knows her name I would still continue if I were you to help your chicken and she will get better just clean her wounds give her antibiotics and if she does not eat you must tube her tell me how she is later on so we will all know how she did thank you. . . You have given her the antibiotics I would weigh to make sure she is gaining weight and not losing and it sounds like she's going to be very well-heeled but please post again so we will know if she's getting better but I think she will get better thank you

Last edited:
Hi Whispers is doing very well she is still alive and is a high-ranking member in the flock she is well-respected and she eats everything and lays eggs and she knows her name I would still continue if I were you to help your chicken and she will get better just clean her wounds give her antibiotics and if she does not eat you must tube her tell me how she is later on so we will all know how she did thank you. . . You have given her the antibiotics I would weigh to make sure she is gaining weight and not losing and it sounds like she's going to be very well-heeled but please post again so we will know if she's getting better but I think she will get better thank you

I will keep you updated. She seems good, her entire back has no skin down to the muscle. The wound is clean so I'm hopeful it will eventually heal. My other hen has a wind clean but much smaller. They are recovering together inside.

so Rexie is doing well. The black scab has come off her wound and the tissue underneath is pink and looks healthy. She is eating well and recovering with Tank another chicken also survived the attack. Both are well

so Rexie is doing well. The black scab has come off her wound and the tissue underneath is pink and looks healthy. She is eating well and recovering with Tank another chicken also survived the attack. Both are well
That is so good to hear.
Sometimes people believe they could never survive the wound.
But so many times people on this site have pulled them through.
I learned so much in a short amount of time about wound healing
and chickens !
Thank you for the updates I am so glad Rexie and Tank are definitely on the mend.
mg

Last edited:
That is so good to hear. 
Sometimes people believe they could never survive the wound
I
But so many times people on this site have pulled them through.
I learned so much in a short amount of time about wound healing
and chickens !
Thank you for the updates I am so glad Rexie and Tank are definitely on the mend. 
mg
I agree this site is invaluable. I have used it many times to help care for my hens. Tank and Rexie continue to do well. I'm taking them out daily for fresh air and sunshine under supervision to protect from the fox. Free ranging alone is out of the question. We ended up loosing 3 of 6 hens in this attack. Tank and Rexie are going strong. Had one hen that was broody and sitting on eggs in the coop. She was not harmed and is now raising babies we got the day after the attack from a hatchery. Life goes on right.

Back
Top Bottom