Dog Shot For Killing chickens Article

I can't get the article to pull up but in general if a dog is chasing livestock with the intent to kill or harm, I think the man had every right to shoot the dog.

On my county road there are several young dogs that run rampant. They're from a neighbors unexpected litter of puppies, he didn't want them and I guess couldn't find homes for them so he just turned them out. They're now chasing horses, cows, etc and I would definately be worried about my chickens if they were out. These dogs have upset many of the people on our road and several of them have said that they WILL shoot the dogs if they come on their property. People have talked to the dogs owner and he just shrugs them off and says "They're not mine. I don't want them." I guess he thinks that even though he is their original owner, if he just turns them out and claims they're not his that it makes it ok. Not!

I've thought of maybe trying to catch the dogs and just taking them to the pound but that's a good hour away and the pound won't come catch them this far out. As much as I would hate the thought of them just being shot, they are young and haven't been taught what is right and wrong, it's not looking good for them.

I would not want to wait until they injured one of my high dollar horses before being allowed to shoot them. Or killed chickens or took a calf. That's money.

What I thought was funny is that the dog is usually tied up! That is not a pet. If you love your dog you dont tie it up. Totally bad pet owners. If your pets take off, dont you go look for them.

My dogs are tied up but they're allowed time off the tie each day to run around SUPERVISED. We just don't have a yard yet as we are in the process of building the house and then the yard will go around the house. We have over 100 acres that we walk them on. As soon as our 1 hour walk is done and they're thoroughly wore out they go back on the tie. But yes if my dogs got off their tie when they weren't supposed to then I would go look for them.

I just caught this. So typical.....

The dog owner says this to the news person:

"Jennifer Fall said she keeps her dogs chained at all times,"

Then her 8 year old actually tells the truth:

"He was playful,” Bryce said of Hank. “He liked to play and run around in the yard. He stays in the yard.” But this time, Hank didn’t stay in the yard."

So is the dog chained at all times or not?

Quote:
I love my dog, and I tied her when she was younger. She had access to shade, a homemade doghouse, a huge weighted water dish, more toys than any dog could ever possibly need, and as much time outside as she wanted. You could tell by her constantly wagging tail that she was as unloved and abused as you say.
roll.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I was raised to never EVER shoot into the air. Every bullet fired is on its way to somewhere. A bullet can travel up to 2 miles and even though it might not be at a lethal velocity at 2 miles, there could be someone between the shooter and that point.

If you're going to pull out a gun, then it should be with the knowledge that you are going to use it.

As for the article, no sympathy at all for the dog owner. They already know that one dog had been killed by the farmer, yet they let another dog roam free? Irresponsible owners will blame anyone but themselves when their dog is hurt.

I'll support the poster that said that chained dog = unhappy. I'd say that is true for 99.9% of dogs. The people who've posted here are very much in the minority. Their dogs are chained for a reason, IE fence is under construction and the dogs get daily interaction with their owners and lots of exercise. My neighbor's all chain their dogs. The only time the dog even SEES a person is every other day for food/water. Most times, the dog isn't even VISIBLE from the house because "he barks if he sees us outside" Yeah, ya think???
My neighbor's have a cocker spaniel. He has a large dog run, but zero human interaction. They have 2 large vacation feeders and 3 water dishes so that they only have to feed him every 4 days or so. Every 6 months they tranquilize him and cut all the matted hair off. Other than that, he has never been touched for his entire life. Because he's "just a dog" and dogs live outside.

My only comment is that if you are going to shoot a dog on your property, aim to kill, and do it as quickly and as humanely as possible. Even if it takes several shots. Then dispose of the dead body. As far as they will ever know, dear little Rover has run off never to be found again.

Back
Top Bottom