Dog Shot For Killing chickens Article

That's what I figure. Anything with a loud bang sound might work too, like firecrackers, or the high-pitched whistles that make them whine. There's Bear Spray (maybe, not sure of its effect on dogs,) pepper spray, set up noisy traps, whatever, something that stings but doesn't injure. I hear Guinea Fowl are excellent at raising the alarm whenever a strange animals ventures onto their turf, although they only fight back if they're defending a mate.

Quote:
very well said i do belive that letting the family and the child see thier dying dog is wrong, just last night had same problem, dog trying to dig into chicken coop, dont care where it came from or who it might belong to, had no tags or collar, and i did not wait till any chic ken died, but the dog wont come back i only have five acres and my springer spaniel which by the way is a hunting dog and not afraid of shots in the air does not leave the property and if she did i would fully expect if she caused problems to not return. any animal whether dog cat or predacious birds mess with my flock or even my dog for that matter is gona meet with the same fate. And do you think for one moment if a flock of chickes were attacking thier "puppie" that they would not kick shoot or somehow try to remove the threat!

Last edited:
i was out of town over the fourth and my lil brother and his wife were supposed to house sit for the weekend and he brought his dog and i came home to 2 less chickens than i had before it was sad because we hand raised them and they were like dogs themselves:( but its the owners in my opinion that are at fault a dog is a dog like a cat is a cat instincts

This was posted on the site before - I have read the article.

The chicken owner was not in the wrong at all. the dog owners should have kept a closer eye on their beloved pet, if he was such a beloved pet then he wouldn't have been tied out on a chain and unmissed when he escaped. That tells me they didn't really care about the dog, he was tied AND unmissed. Okay so maybe they weren't home - then why didn't ya'll make sure he was secure on his chain/tie out?

When I lived in town, my dogs had to be tied out when they were outside. - okay not the ideal situation BUT my dogs then and now (when i'm not home and they are outside they are tied because I only have an invisible fence and I know one will break through it without hesitation when no one is home) are constantly watched. My dogs usually hang right outside the kitchen window, and I am constantly peeking out the door or windows to check on the dogs and chickens. Everytime my dogs bark I go see what they are after - I know my dogs' individual barks 'intruder/stranger(human or animal)' 'omg I want to EAT YOU' bark my one dog does to loud trucks and some of the guys that hang over at my neighbors, then theres that 'what' bark of theirs. My dogs come indoors when its really hot or really cold- if they want to. I have to be careful with them indoors though because my older dog is very particular and has a short fuse with the 2 younger ones. If mine get loose - one tells me the other is loose and I head out barefoot if I have to go chase them down and bring 'em home. I know my one dog can be a houdini and will snap cheap links - the chain shes on is a light chain but between the chain and the links/catches on it I put about 50$ into each chain set and constantly (every 2-3 days) check the links to make sure they aren't wearing down, or are loose.

They were irresponsible owners of a dog that wasn't given the attention it needed.

The chicken owner did what was his right to do to protect his animals.

I'd do the same in a heartbeat and have. My neighbors understand if their dogs get loose I will try to just get the go on. but I have a no nonsense policy - if a strange dog is in MY yard and messes with my chickens in anyway, my dogs in anyway, or shows aggression towards any of the humans who live here its an automatic DEAD DOG. end of story - we are all happy with this - and agree that we can live with this agreement.

Yes, it is an age-old problem. Irresponsible dog owners that believe that their pet has the right to roam the neighborhood. 'Specially if it is a rural area. What always never fails to work is S.S.S.- Shoot- Shovel-Shutup. End of that problem!

Quote:
I agree. If they don't know their dog was shot, they can't cause problems. I live surrounded by hunting lands. My land is posted and fenced. I had a pack of dogs under my rabbit cages, they had one rabbit by the foot through the wire. I shot one, buried it. The next time a hunter brought dogs around, I stood inside my fence with a rifle. He said something about them just being rabbit dogs. I told him that was fine, but if his rabbit dogs came on my property they would be dead rabbit dogs. He gathered up his dogs and left. I also sent registered letters to the owners of the hunting club, informing them my land was posted and any dogs found on my property would be shot. Both hunting clubs have put that information in their rules. Haven't had a problem since with dogs from the hunting clubs.
Now stray and dropped off dogs that show up get caught and relocated to the nearest shelter (about 70 miles away).

I read the article and many of the comments.

Calm, well thought out comments that are not directly meant to attack other posters leave a better impression.

Unfortunatly, most of the pro chicken owner comments relating to this article do not come off very well.

Quote:
IMHO it's because pro chicken people (any livestock/animal owner for that matter) are generally very responsible people and it ticks them off when other animal owners can't step up to the responsibity and they blame others, as others have said, this is an age old problem.

It really bugs me when people think of their dogs as something they are not. Bottom line is that your dog is your responsibility and yours alone, at no point what so ever should I have to interrupt my life in any way because of someone elses dog. In other words, I should not have to watch where I walk in my own yard because your dog poops in my yard. I should not be inconvenienced by having my flock killed because your dog came into my yard. I should not be inconvenienced because your dog got loose and ran in front of my car. I have seen people sue others because their dog got loose and someone hit the dog with their car and the dog owners felt that the driver should cover vet costs. REALLY? The dog owner should pay me for my time and damage not the other way around.

I have 2 dogs. A pure bred border collie and a black lab mix. I love my dogs more than I love my wife and she will tell you that. My border collie is a very smart dog and I have spent thousand of dollars training him BUT he is the most unstable dog I have ever met. He has bitten my wife and I more times than I can count and the bites required doctors, they were not nips. The dog trainers and vets have all told me to put the dog down, I refused. Now because of this issue I as the owner accept his limitations and I have to take steps to make sure that he does not ever bite anyone but me, why? Because he is my responsibility. Because of this issue with him I have to take extra steps to make sure he stays in my yard and that other dogs stay away as he will rip them apart too. So I have multiple levels of making sure he is secure in my yard at all times because my yard is not fenced. He always has a 15 foot leash on him, he has a remote shock collar, he has a 150 foot wire run and an electric fence. So if he gets by one level he may not get by 2 levels. The point to my rant is this, if your dog is an escape artist or does not listen to commands than it is your reponsibilty as the owner to address these issue and either fix them or take steps to prevent them. Also, my border collie is now 7 and has not bitten anyone in 3 years, not for lack of trying but because of the steps I have taken.

Don't get me wrong, I feel for both people here. It would kill me to kill a dog it really would but the other option is my flock who were on their own property minding their own business, why should they die for that?

Last edited:
I love my dogs more than I love my wife and she will tell you that. My border collie is a very smart dog and I have spent thousand of dollars training him BUT he is the most unstable dog I have ever met. He has bitten my wife and I more times than I can count and the bites required doctors, they were not nips.

Good God. Good God. If it weren't for the forum rules... I have no way to comment on that civilly.

I don't see nothing wrong with it the man did the right thing if you didn't do anything a dog will kill EVERY SINGLE ONE of your chickens for no reason...I know I seen it done before...Ive also shot two pit bulls and a lab for doing it and I still will keep shooting them I put alot time, money, and love into my chickens,I'm not fixing to let somebody ignorance cost me that

Back
Top Bottom