Dominique Thread!

Every time I come on this thread and see some beautiful (Eye candy ) Doms, it makes me want to load my flock up with a bunch of them! I have 3 from MMc. Have had their chicks 2 years in a row, and find them to be fragile. Would love to get some quality eggs in the spring!

This is monster our Dominique rooster he looks awesome when deciding on a breed to start our flock with we considered everything we could find as far as egg laying, attitude, looks and we fell for the Dominique breed. Considering that it was the first breed brought to america it was simple to go with dominique All the way. We have 3 Dominique hens and a Dominique rooster. They are not laying yet but hopefully this spring we will start hatching out some little dominique chicks. Really great trend!

Edit turns out that we have barred rocks and not Dominique chickens. But they are still fun and great birds.

Last edited:
Here is 10 week old Carina, checking out all the haps. She is so silky & soft, and she is very sweet. Her eyes have recently turned from green to golden - is that usual for a dom?

I may or may not have a Dominique chick. She was my "mystery chick" from a hatchery. My other 12 are Wyandottes, but this gal, who we call "Thirteen" looks like she might be a "Dominicker" as the old-timers call them. She is extremely docile and I'm currently having problems with my Wyandottes picking on her (I wrote about that in another post) So here are some pics, hope someone can identify her for sure. She is 3 weeks old. The second photo was when she was a few days old.

A Dominique has a rose comb...so tiny round peas in a row as a tiny chick. Wyandottes also have rose combs. The Wyandotte comb is a bit flatter, and kept closer to the head, but both are rose combs.

A Barred Rock looks similar color wise to a Dominique, but has a single comb, so flat little serrations sticking up at the tiny chick stage. Almost like the edge of a steak knife.

Back
Top Bottom