Dominique Thread!

I am trying something different with my juvenile American Dominiques. Once about 4 weeks old I am offering the alfalfa-oat cubes soaked in water to look like spinach. They are eating the stuff.

Fiber to get cecal function up. Free-range birds consume a diet dominated by greens. I am trying get them prepped for that while keeping them confined a little longer as I upgrade free-range perimeter. As I expand the dogs are having to work too hard so more fencing being setup tp cover the roughly doubled area birds can no forage over. Dogs working too hard and chicken nutrition can be very much tied together.

I do not think purpose of visit will be to consult. I am trying to figure out how to prepare. He indicated an interest in some birds.

If he thinks your birds are worth something then I definitely would be interested in a pullet from you in future!!!!! He's probably thinking along the lines of a different bloodline from you for Cackle's improvememt program maybe?

My guess he likes the idea of multiple distinguishable lines to benefit breed as a whole. My intent is for others to establish flocks based at least in part on what I have and maintain them in a manner the conserves their ability to perform as dual durpose American Dominiques. That is very much mine. Having them go out simply to be members of flocks that are not self-sustaining is like making them into cut flowers or food for predators with respect to my intent. Cackles long-term effort of simply providing chicks may conflict with that.

Back
Top Bottom