Dominique Thread!

My guess he likes the idea of multiple distinguishable lines to benefit breed as a whole. My intent is for others to establish flocks based at least in part on what I have and maintain them in a manner the conserves their ability to perform as dual durpose American Dominiques. That is very much mine. Having them go out simply to be members of flocks that are not self-sustaining is like making them into cut flowers or food for predators with respect to my intent. Cackles long-term effort of simply providing chicks may conflict with that.

You obviously have the best interests of the Doms continued existence in mind in your breeding and I am thrilled and applaud you - the Doms are so worth it! Wish everyone was able to be self-sustaining but some of us live in regions that absolutely forbid that lifestyle. Unfortunately as a retiree no longer with my 25 acres I have to settle for whatever my new city cottage limits allows me - no roos
sad.png
. I have no room for hatching or brooding chicks either. Finding homes for excess unwanted chicks is not easy within city limits. Even if I were to order Cackle's minimum 3 pullet City/Town Special that's 2 extra chicks I don't need. Hatcheries or brokers might offer pullet juveniles of one or two non-APA or Production/Utility hybrids that are for eggs only but no rare breed grown-up juveniles are offered - it's simply easier/cost-efficient for them to peddle chicks.

This is why I ask for PQ pullet juvies from breeders who might otherwise cull them for a crooked tail or bad markings that wouldn't work for breeding. By getting PQs I get the benefits of the temperaments of the breeds that I like and maybe save one sweet girl from being a possible dinner meal because she didn't meet the SOP. I cannot breed in my zone so my small flock would be safe from continued progeny in my yard.

Utility/production is not paramount but good-natured non-combative breeds in the flock are our goal. It's the reason we re-homed our dual-purpose heavier and assertive layers. We have less or average-sized eggs now but have a peaceful flock of gentle breeds with no drama queens or bloody squabbles.

The benefits of having chickens in our garden and their entertainment value are priceless to us beyond viewing them as only cut flowers and they are very predator-savvy (including our 2-lb Silkie bantams). Compared to the open fields we had before, our current smaller yard is easier to predator-proof from aerial talons with several shelters and canopies spaced around the grounds. We've had 4 years of free-foraging hens with visiting hawks and no losses. The hens of all breeds we've had are very good at hiding. The flock enmasse will attack/chase any neighborhood cat that dares enter the yard and sometimes with 2-lb Silkies leading the pack as the bigger hens rush to join the chase! It's amazing how gentle breeds can become an angry bird mob when necessary - these girls never had a roo to defend them.

We were accidentally shipped a breeding cockerel and though breeding would've been his ideal destiny we were fortunate to find a loving home in a friend's flock rather than relinquishing him as someone's dinner - which unfortunately is the plight of most cockerels. Our guy was simply too nice physically and temperamentally to be processed.

I will be receiving a juvenile pullet next week of a rare breed from someone who is breeding to standards. Bless them for being willing to send us a "cut flower" for our garden!
wink.png

Yesterday I planned on loading incubator with 2 dozen eggs. My kids (3.5 and almost 2) found basket and threw five out busting them before I could stop. Then after marking eggs and starting to actually load I dropped another dozen on the floor. Only seven eggs set. This is going to be a problem because egg production starting to slow owing to heat. Current cock gets only two more weeks weeks before number three gets his shot and that guy will have a real challenge getting his 2 dozen chicks hatched.

Does anyone have a picture of a nice heritage dominique, ready for the freezer carcass? Would be nice to see, as I am a visual person, and would like to compare to other breeds that I have seen.

Last edited:

What a stunning beauty!  Does she have the U-shape back which I happen to love about the Doms?  Your 2nd photo looks like the Orp tail is coming out of the Dom!  Wherever did you get your lovely Dom?

I don't know if she has a u shape back, and also I got her at a feed store

Back
Top Bottom