Dominique Thread!

Today I'm bringing puddles to the fair!!!!!!
wee.gif

Which State Fair?

Is anyone here good at determining sex of a Dominique crossbreed? I crossed my Dominique rooster over my Rhode Island Red and my Easter Egger and I just cannot tell what I have yet. I know what the Dominique/Rhode Island Red crosses are, but I am struggling with figuring out the ones crossed with the Easter Egger.

Is anyone here good at determining sex of a Dominique crossbreed? I crossed my Dominique rooster over my Rhode Island Red and my Easter Egger and I just cannot tell what I have yet. I know what the Dominique/Rhode Island Red crosses are, but I am struggling with figuring out the ones crossed with the Easter Egger.

Are fluffy muffed cheeks on EEs a giveaway or are the muffs a recessive trait that don't show in crossbreeds?

I am trying to determine if they are male/female. They are 9 weeks old.

Well, a crossbred Dom sex is not my thing. However all your birds have the tell-tale female Dom black shanks and toes which is not a male Dom chick trait. So my un-educated guess from that criteria tells me they are females. However, EEs have slate legs so the dark shading down the shanks and toes might be from the EE cross-breeding and possibly be on male or female crossed chicks. Earlier reddening of the combs/wattles usually mean males and light pink combs/wattles just until POL mean females - see my avatar, she's a 5-m/o Ameraucana and her peacomb is still very light.

So let us know who crows or who lays an egg!

Last edited:
Someone please explain the Dominique combs. We've had two generations of dominique hens and seem to have gotten 3 types of combs: rose comb, rose with horn, and single comb. At first, I though the single combs were a hatchery mistake in that they didn't give pure bred. This year I used a different hatchery and I got another single comb variation. Love my dominiques and want to get to the bottom of their comb variations!

Someone please explain the Dominique combs. We've had two generations of dominique hens and seem to have gotten 3 types of combs: rose comb, rose with horn, and single comb. At first, I though the single combs were a hatchery mistake in that they didn't give pure bred. This year I used a different hatchery and I got another single comb variation. Love my dominiques and want to get to the bottom of their comb variations!

At one time around a century ago Dominique breeders struggled about the breed standard regarding combs - some breeders thought straight combs should be the standard and some vigorously thought the rose comb was acceptable. Well, the straight comb Dominique breeders registered with the APA and other breeds like Cornish and game hens and some other breeds were infused to make the BRs larger as dual purpose while the Dominique breed later got accepted into the APA as rose comb. So my understanding is that occasionally a Dominique will hatch with a straight comb throwback. I believe the "horn" you are referring to is the spike or "leader" at the back of the rose comb on a Dominique which is a very attractive feature especially on the males. Google Dominique chickens and read everything you can to get a complete history and evolution of the breed and how straight combed BRs broke away from the rose combed original American Dominique.

Show pictures.

Back
Top Bottom