Dominique Thread!

I have American Dominiques and American Dominiques. The former can squabble to an extreme yet the appearance of the comb is seldom changed. Dominiques are no more capable, Differences as depicted in images above are usually visible at hatch or while birds are still in the brooder well before real battles are fought. The environment that I think may be more important is during embryonic development while in the egg.

The reason I speculated on the leader of #3 as either frostbite or torn off in a squabble is because she is not a chick in the photo and so can't speculate beyond what is posted. Thank you for your expertise - I do welcome your experience!

I have half a dozen juveniles that have a comb like bird #3. That was apparent at hatch and is the reason they are to be culled. The appearance was set while in the egg but how it is inherited still eludes me.

I have half a dozen juveniles that have a comb like bird #3. That was apparent at hatch and is the reason they are to be culled. The appearance was set while in the egg but how it is inherited still eludes me.

Probably the same way it eludes breeders who suddenly get a straight comb gene that pops up in a hatch!

Many people with the single comb issue and calling themselves breeders may not be experienced or well versed enough in genetics to get a handle on the problem. Many people breeding dominiques, probably most, are simply making more birds without paying much attention to details.

#3 comb has always looked like this. It's like the leader was somewhat recessed as in it didn't stick all the way out. I've never seen what a leader looks like so I thought this might be it. We had some others like this in that hatch but have since culled them. So is the leader a desirable trait or not? We always thought it was some sort of deformity and not desirable. This has got me interested in comb outcomes, breeding, genetics, etc. Any suggestions on good resources for the beginner to learn more? web or print?

Back
Top Bottom