Dominique Thread!

Arg!

Finally.... That is the ideal

Whew!!!

#3 comb has always looked like this. It's like the leader was somewhat recessed as in it didn't stick all the way out. I've never seen what a leader looks like so I thought this might be it. We had some others like this in that hatch but have since culled them. So is the leader a desirable trait or not? We always thought it was some sort of deformity and not desirable. This has got me interested in comb outcomes, breeding, genetics, etc. Any suggestions on good resources for the beginner to learn more? web or print?

The "leader" is not desirable. Once we start delving into these variations on the rose comb you start getting into the realm where genetics involved has not been worked out. You could easily put yourself in a leadership role by clearing this issue up. It seems to have popped up for me after crossing two lines that when bred to themselves where producing very consistent rosecombs. Inbreeding in some instances may be making it worse but will also enable identifying how parents influence the comb shape beyond simply rose comb.

Thanks for sharing the photo of the ideal Dominique. I can see what some term as the "leader" in the drawing. What I was calling the "leader" on # 3 looks like a malformed attempt. ?? I probably caused some confusion by mislabeling #3. All of the information shared about Dominique combs has been fascinating and eye opening. We've had Dominiques for 2 years and never really investigated the details of combs or ideal standards.

Arg!

Finally.... That is the ideal

Whew!!!

The "leader" is not desirable. Once we start delving into these variations on the rose comb you start getting into the realm where genetics involved has not been worked out. You could easily put yourself in a leadership role by clearing this issue up. It seems to have popped up for me after crossing two lines that when bred to themselves where producing very consistent rosecombs. Inbreeding in some instances may be making it worse but will also enable identifying how parents influence the comb shape beyond simply rose comb.

By "leader" don't you mean the spike on the back?

That is how I understand it. The rear tip is sort of recessed into body of comb to form what appears to be a nipple coming out of a belly button.

Hi All - I'm still a teensy bit confused as to whether the leader (spike) at the back of the rose comb in the Dom photo is desirable or not? I always thought that bit of a spike/leader was what was SOP? In some other breeds of chickens it is desirable to have the rose comb hug close to the head all the way to the back of the head but that with Doms there was to be a bit of spike/leader at the back not connected to the skull?

We are in the planning stages for putting up a 36' x 30' barn. One third of it will house my three sublines each in their own 10' x 10' dog kennel. Each pen will have access to an outdoor run. Adults will no longer roost under stars and the incubation and brooding stages will be moved from man-room in house to a corner of the barn. Bench will be setup so show birds can be acclimitized to handling and show pens. This should allow year round keeping of 36 brood hens. A cock pen will be made somewhere else that is also protected from the elements.

I have been trying to get to this point for some time. Every intent is free-range rear American Dominiques in a manner that this place can be called a farm. Marketing plan to be developed next. Probably will not make a profit but will go through all the motions.

Back
Top Bottom