Dominique Thread!

Wow! You guys live in some really cold States! -- Alaska and Minnesota! What do you do to protect the Doms from frostbite?
I did nothing for my Dom & she was just fine. Being female she had nice tight wattles and the perfect comb for the cold. The coop is insulated but not heated in any way. Having cold hardy breeds helps.

In northern IL, we normally get a few days below zero, but this year was extreme. We had a record -28'F (real feel was much much colder.) The day time highs were -15'F. In those temps, there's not much you can do. My 2 orpington roos got some frostbite on the comb tips & front wattle areas. The hens were fine.
IMG_5136.JPG IMG_5175.JPG
IMG_5160.JPG

..... Of course we do not have to deal with your extreme heat. We may get a couple miserable days between 96-101'F. That's actually harder for my birds than the cold.

Owing to health issues in the family, I am going to greatly reduce the number of chickens I have to control feed cost. My American Dominiques are going to be a big component of what is downsized. The are more than 75% based on the Voter Strain and their descendents have done well at show in Indiana with 4-H youth. I will be trying to sell roughly 8 pullets and 2 cockerels at fair price.

Owing to health issues in the family, I am going to greatly reduce the number of chickens I have to control feed cost. My American Dominiques are going to be a big component of what is downsized. The are more than 75% based on the Voter Strain and their descendents have done well at show in Indiana with 4-H youth. I will be trying to sell roughly 8 pullets and 2 cockerels at fair price.
Sorry for your troubles.

I hope things work out how you want them to.

Thanks. I need to find some younger and likely long-term interested parties that will take over the bloodline so it is not lost to the backyard dead enders pool.

Hello again. Years ago, I was very interested in getting some American Dominiques from you and even set up a possible meeting months into the future to pick up some juveniles. However, this was during the 2015 Avian Influenza outbreak that prevented birds from being transported across state lines or being sold in the open air. It's honestly good I didn't get new birds at that time since I have had so many changes since then. My husband is military so we have moved around a bit and currently are in North Carolina. However, we are moving back to Kentucky for good in August. We hope to get settled in and start our farm shortly after. I've loved Dominiques for so long I can't picture breeding anything else. I'd love nothing more than to preserve a portion of the work you have been doing with this breed. I will definitely contact you to see if you have any you are selling as soon as we are ready to get birds.

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask, but I've truly enjoyed looking at all the pictures in this thread. I was wondering what the temperament of your Dominiques are overall? Obviously individuals are individuals, so I'm just trying to get a feel for the overall temperament of the breed. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom