Dry Incubation **NOW WITH PHOTOS!** - How Low is Too Low? 10% Humidity**ANSWERED: NO.**

I try do dry hatch at around 30% humidity. I live in SoCal and right now I have to add some moisture to keep my humidity at that level.

I am learning to hatch. due Jan 28th. I am doing dry incubation, mine reads 16% I I am going to add water for little humity this weekend. Last few days during lockout, increase humidity by adding a sponge..

I don't even use a hygrometer any more- at all.

There is a link in my signature to my incubation page, and it might help a bit.

ChooksChick,

Thanks so much for this info on dry incubation. I really appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge.

One question - in the beginning of your instructions you say to completely ignore humidity but the last paragraph in Q&A says to not let the humidity drop below 20%. Is this just for the last few days?
I'm asking because my hygrometer - before adding eggs - reads 10%

Kerri in NC

I don't even use a hygrometer any more- at all.

There is a link in my signature to my incubation page, and it might help a bit.

THANKS for sharing your experience. I read your page and tried it also. It works GREAT!!!!!
bow.gif

I just want to say thanks for all your info...it sure makes me feel better about trying to hatch eggs again...I was getting so discouraged.

ChooksCHick's page and PMing with her got me going on incubating last summer. I had a number of hatches and learned more each time. I do use a hydrometer just to help me know where the RH is at but I don't calibrate it as the final say is the air cell development in the eggs. I shoot for 25-35%.

Broodies still have a better hatch rate than I do. LOL

Do a little research--some people report poor hatches when RH is very low.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom