D'uccle Thread

I just had someone contact me who lives in Virginia & wants MF babies or started birds. I can't ship to VA so if anyone has MF D'Uccles available, just let me know & I will forward you his email addy. Thanks~!
smile.png

Hi all, glad to see everyone is doing fine. I have yet to figure out where these napoleon complexed birds get all their attitude! The 2 ladies that I have almost ruined a young pullet by plucking her and grabbing one leg while yanking on the other! Eeek! Then I kid you not, one of my millies went into territory war with my adult standard breed hens and one was a full sized Cochin hen. The standard hens will run from these 2 hens, especially when food is available! I never thought ANYThing came between my big girls, until they met Ruth and Millie!

Any ideas on how to change their moods? Wow, I'm shocked. I've never seen such prejudice in our back yard! LOL

Quote:
The only way to change their moods is to let them be in charge and everyone get out of their way. My d'Uccles have always 'ruled the roost' no matter what birds I've ever had. I've watched a full-sized Welsummer back away from a mille fleur pullet....

Since I started playing 'musical chickens' so often I've had much better integration rates with new birds. Rotating pens and switching out birds is a hassle, but the payoff is that all my birds "know" each other and the only issues I have involve cockerals. In fact, I put a half dozen young mf girls in with 2 older pullets and tonight, 4 nights later, they are cuddled up on the roost together. There was a touch of head-bonking, and the babies tried to sleep outside the first 2 nights, but now there's harmony. I love harmony!!

Here's a pick of my odd girl. She's very quail-like?
2952_img_7872.jpg

Check out her little beard!
2952_img_7873.jpg

Another pose... She and her buddies are almost 4 months old. The boys don't have much of a tail yet, ut I'm going to show them anyway at the end of the month just for the practice.
2952_img_7875.jpg

Mean boy (although he didn't bite me today):
2952_img_7877.jpg

Sweet boy:
2952_img_7881.jpg

Mean boy is striking now, but has too much white for a 5-month old (IMO). I'd rather he came into his spots a bit later. Sweetness is also 5-months old, and about what I like to see in a cockeral. I'm betting Mean will triump over Sweet at the end-of-month show, but later in life Sweet will be the winner....

Quote:
She's gorgeous Lori, Yes very "quail" like. Reminds me a bit of a fav w/beard and all. Sweet pics.
I've culled nearly everything I had from the 2-3 project breedings and only have about 12-15 birds now. Am focusing on my Faverolles at the moment and letting my D's mature a bit more before I decide to do any breeding or hatching. Feet are getting ALOT better, so is type in this last group. I have all the boys together and all the girls in seperate pen next to them. This fall when I make my final cut, I will then start 'pairing' the birds and working off my 4th yr proj x proj to see what next years birds will look like. At that point I will decide if they are even worth wasting my time on or not
smile.png
Good luck to you hun.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom