Duck Houses

They were raised in NC and when they were three weeks old they came out from under the brooder lamp and moved outdoors into a pen and coop. After the first few days I gave up chasing them to lock them into the coop at night and just let them sleep under the coop - which appeared to be their preference. They had a kiddie pool to play in every day. They were 7 weeks old when they moved to the old swimming pool in SC. I put the floating house in the water that day and when I went back a week later they were living in it. I suppose they sense it is the safest place for them. They also have a little coop available to them at the side of the pool but do not use it. They free range and have a flock block they can nibble on. The first block lasted a month. I set another one out this week. They feed on filamentous algae that grows in the pool. There are tadpoles, dragonflies and their larvae, water striders and all manner of bugs in the grass and the woods that surround the pool. There are plenty of edible plants there. I put some feeder fish in the pool, too. The ducks appear to be doing well. I check on them weekly when I stop by to mow the acreage. It appears that the four of them, identical early on, are actually two drakes and two ducks. We'll see if they pair off for mating next Spring and if they stay put. There are sizable ponds within a mile or two of the swimming pool and they may decide to move to one of them. There should be adequate nesting sites there in the surrounding woods - but I may set aside an area for them, as well - fenced on three sides with the open side open only to the water - so that predators can not enter unless they swim in. So far the arrangement is working and the ducks appear healthy and content - kind of naturalized instead of "kept" or dependent on me.

I have two ducks (got them from TSC in early March) and I have them living with my 6 chicks (all purchased at the same time) .... they all have been moved into my "Motel-Chick...Duck-n-ham-Palace" and these two give me and my chicks quite the time! They have to be chased/caught and put into the house at night. After reading some comments it's nice to know it's not just my two (Qwakrs & Chz) that are giving me fits about going in at night.
rant.gif
. Not only are they sooooo stubborn but they are also so mean to my chicks - constantly pecking at them and chasing them around. I'm hoping it's more of a "playing' than "fighting". The house has a run attached to it and inside the run I gave the ducks a small tub that they can swim in/drink from since I have the chicks a poultry nipple watering system.
I am considering adding onto my newly built coop/run and giving the ducks their own "house" so the chicks will have a peaceful place to sleep/lay eggs w/o the ducks pecking at them.
At first I was considering just getting an igloo type dog house and calling it "done" but I'm thinking that with our last harsh winter (got below -10F in AR for about a week) ... that maybe I shall build them a little house and leave it up to them to go inside or not.
I want them to be happy and healthy ... and I don't want to be "mean mom" by making them go inside at night ... but I don't want them to get hurt/be killed. We live on 3 acres of woods and have seen it all: coons, foxes, hogs, and BEARS!!!!
ep.gif

So my plea for help ...... does anyone have experience with chickens and ducks living in "harmony" inside the same house or should I give them their own space? Should I keep "forcing" them into the safety of the house at night or leave them to their own and hope they know when to be cautious/take shelter?
barnie.gif
(the run is predator proof but it's still a little too chilly at nights to leave them outside)

I can't help with the harmony experience but yes, definitely keep forcing them into the safety of the house at night. They will eventually learn the routine. It took ours about 2 or 3 weeks. Good luck.

I've come to the conclusion that all ducks are obsessive/compulsive, lol. They absolutely hate hate hate any changes. But by the same token, once they do finally get used to something, like a new house, you don't have to worry much anymore- they will troop in every night all on their own (except full moon nights- I notice they want to stay outside, probably because it doesn't seem dark enough to be bedtime yet). Right now, I'm trying to teach them that it's OK to leave the coop run during the daytime and free range. This morning, hubby opened the gate and told them "come on!" and started moving toward the gate. After he took a couple of steps, they were looking at him, and quacking to each other, and looking at the gate, and looking at him.... and then they all waddled out after him, as if he was the lead duck. They have been busy finding good things to eat all morning, and now are settled in the shade in a spot that is pretty secure from airborne attacks, with Lucky on guard (so called because he was the only drake able to evade us when we had the Great Drake Kill Off last month).

We made a couple of duck pergolas by attaching 4 2x4 legs to pallet, and have them scattered about to give the kids a shelter to run to if they hear an eagle.

Here's my duck house. I LOVE ducks, but they are the messiest creatures on earth. For their pool, I dug a large pit in the ground, and put several boards over the pit. The pool sits on the support boards. I drilled a hole in the bottom, and put a regular bathtub plug in the hole. Now, I just pull the plug, and all that dirty water drains into the pit below, then soaks into the ground. It is the easiest way to change water, and the ducks love it!

Here are a few views of the house. Some of these pics were taken last year, and I have since put tough livestock wire around the pen. Hope you like them:)
HPIM3426.jpg

HPIM2594.jpg

Wow! great idea for your pool!!! Sounds like a great solution to changing water without having to tip and dump the water weekly!

Just got this done. Ducks haven't moved in, yet, since there are still a few minor things to do. It's for five ducks (4 Runners and 1 Mallard).
Is their any venting in the building? i don't see any but possibly missed it.. i agree with ML they need time on the ground, i gather the ramp is for this ability? also watch that chain link coons for instance are reach and grab predators... so narrowing that wire down the first couple feet is always a good idea. I like the cover for the run and the raised overall design though.

The top of the gables, on both sides of the shed, have vents for circulation (looks like the branch is covering it up in the picture, though). The top of the kennel actually has chicken wire stretched across it. I used to have chicken wire around the bottom, too, before I moved it, but took it off because I have different wire that I want to put around it (it's coated, so I figured it would last longer). I'm also putting a fenced in area out in front of the kennel, so the ducks can run around in it during the day. Now I'm only hoping that they will use the ramp. Going down might not be the problem, but herding them back up it might be.
wee.gif
barnie.gif

The main reason for this design was that the area they are in now gets flooded during bad spring and fall rains. Of course, the ducks love it when they can swim to every part of their pen for a couple of days, but then it gets really muddy and messy and I don't want them to end up with wet feather.

I see two houses here that I like. Can they be combined to make ducks and chickens together?

I don;t like them together... ducks are wet and messy, chickens are dry and PECK ... also drakes can harm chicken hens, do they all? no.. my standard chickens free range and my ducks pretty much ignore them... but it's always possible.

I have a duck and her baby living in my bantam chicken barn.. wish she'd move lol the cockerels in there don't bug her she's set them straight quite a few times but she's messy! and they chickens are silkies so she makes a the floor a bit untidy, she brooded back there that is how she ended up in that location hopefully soon she'll take her kid and move back to the duck housing which is more set-up for ducks and their habits.

Back
Top Bottom