duck injured and isnt walking right

babysunnyduck

In the Brooder
Dec 8, 2023
My duck has been walking very slowly and her chest seems swollen. Her tail also touches the ground while walking. Please help I don’t know why she is like this now. This started recently out of no where. This has affected the way she grooms herself and it made her unable to sit down.
FE314FAE-F534-4421-8256-88ECE2BD5B2D.jpeg
A26BC967-84A9-4A50-9035-87C81FC642F6.jpeg

Last edited:
i’m wondering why you say injured instead of ill was she attacked by a predator? Does she have wounds??
is she eating and drinking? what does her poop look like please post a picture. Is she losing feathers? I see you have her inside and there is a bowl of water and a bowl of food but I don’t see any grit next to the food bowl right now so I have to ask is that something that you give her or do you let them outside everyday to dig around and find their their own grit? and one more question what kind of food do you feed them and do you give them a lot of treats what kind of treats?

Welcome to BYC. I hope someone can help you help her. Jen has asked some great questions, and Lt has given you a link to the Emergency section. I'm sure one of our members will be able to help.

i’m wondering why you say injured instead of ill was she attacked by a predator? Does she have wounds??
is she eating and drinking? what does her poop look like please post a picture. Is she losing feathers? I see you have her inside and there is a bowl of water and a bowl of food but I don’t see any grit next to the food bowl right now so I have to ask is that something that you give her or do you let them outside everyday to dig around and find their their own grit? and one more question what kind of food do you feed them and do you give them a lot of treats what kind of treats?
Also if she lays when was the last time?

Also if she lays when was the last time?
She hasnt laid an egg in about a week or a week and a half but we havent seen them engage in anything so I don’t know if thats the cause. She hasn’t been attacked and her poop looks fine. She is eating and drinking water and I provide her with mealworms and peas. Also we allow them outside everyday for the whole day until about 8pm when we bring them in. We feed them duck feed from the local store but I am not sure if there is enough niacin in it for them or if there is any at all.

If you can get to TSC and pick up some calcium gluconate and give her 1 ml today if she’s egg bound this can help the egg get moving you may have to give it more than one time. Okay how old is she and how long has she been like this? Usually being egg bound they don’t last long but we have to eliminate issues since we’re not vets.when my Muscovy was egg bound she wouldn’t eat or drink and mainly laid around off by herself. This may not be what they all do though. Have you felt her crop area but if she’s eating that may not be her problem either. Do you provide grit?

If you can get to TSC and pick up some calcium gluconate and give her 1 ml today if she’s egg bound this can help the egg get moving you may have to give it more than one time. Okay how old is she and how long has she been like this? Usually being egg bound they don’t last long but we have to eliminate issues since we’re not vets.when my Muscovy was egg bound she wouldn’t eat or drink and mainly laid around off by herself. This may not be what they all do though. Have you felt her crop area but if she’s eating that may not be her problem either. Do you provide grit?
I do not provide grit since they are outside all day but I need to but they drink mud and eat dirt. We are going to go to a vet today to see whats the problem but her crop area is puffed up to her mouth

here is a picture of her now
image.jpg

Don't feed her overnight so we can see how her chest looks in the morning. in the meantime feel her crop area is it hard or soft or squishy. She sure doesn't look like she is feeling good. You say she is eating good?

Back
Top Bottom