Duck Questions

What gorgeous ducks. All look domestic too not wild. I do see a Muscovy. Well ducks don’t need a nest to lay an egg sometimes they just drop it out as they are passing by. As you have found out. Duck eggs are delicious and are wonderful for baking with so pick them up and use them. And some ducks lay year round especially if they are in their first year. Did someone buy the ducks and put them on the pond or have they been dumped there by poeple who didn’t want them any longer?

Thanks for the reply!
I think someone bought the ducks. There are several ponds in the neighborhood that the ducks go around to. I’ve just moved in but I think I remember the realtor saying they bought the ducks to help keep the ponds cleaner.
Should I not leave the eggs to see if the ducks come back? Or is it more likely they are unfertalized and they won’t come back anyway?

They may come back but they have no way to take the egg with them so take them and use them, if any go broody[start collecting to hatch] they will find an out of the way flower garden with some kind of shrubbery to build their nest or a flower pot. lol. It maybe fertilized or not but unless a birds actually sits on the egg for 28 days for domestics and 35 for Muscovy there won't be any thing alive in the egg and when cracked open you'll not know if it's fertilized or not. Most of us on here eat fertilized eggs if we have drakes, roosters or ganders. Enjoy!!

Back
Top Bottom