Duck stamp contest

desertdarlene

Crowing
11 Years
Aug 4, 2010
San Diego
They just announced the duck stamp winner for 2012 a single wood duck painting. I saw all the entries and I am considering possibly entering for next year. Has anyone entered art into the contest?

Did anyone see the entries for this year? Lots of wood ducks. I would have painted a gadwall because I love them and there were too many wood duck entries and no gadwalls. Plus, there was a strange, but interesting abstract painting this year of two mallards mating with trains on the drake's back, an overturned turtle, and logo emblems.

I wasn't born with a single artistic gene, but best of luck to you if you enter. That'd be sweet, for a BYC person to be in the contest
smile.png

I used to do a lot of artwork and used to enter a lot of shows. But, when the economy started going bad, I wasn't able to sell anything anymore. So, I mostly worked on my photography and blogs, which don't cost me a lot of money. However, I think I might start it up again. I'm doing one little painting right now, but not of a duck.

Here's the link to the entries for this year, they already picked a winner:

http://www.outdoorsweekly.com/assets/FederalDuckStampExport2011/index.htm

I noticed that the entry fee is extremely high ($125), so I should plan on finding a way to start earning the entry money now, lol.

What fun to enter. Best luck to you, and let us know.

Yes, I would look at stamps past and pick a breed that has been very badly underrepresented. Maybe also a breed of duck that is legal to hunt.

One of the best incomes from the duck stamps is not sales to hunters. People collect them and frame them, so a different duck would be immensely popular. The people picking the winning painting are well aware of that.

since this is migatory waterfowl, wonder why there wasn't a muscovy done? I am not asking that because I have Muscovies just wondering why no one would paint one to enter.

Thanks!

Unfortunately, you can only choose to enter a painting from a small list of species. So, if Muscovy isn't mentioned, I wouldn't be able to enter it. Most of the paintings in the past had ducks that were popular to hunt or were in serious need of conservation. Past winners include lesser scaup, mallard, white-fronted geese, northern pintail and various teal species. Gadwall was on the list this year, but I see only a few gadwall entries.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks for info. what talent people have. Would love to see some of your work sometimes dd, I have seen your photography it's really good.

Back
Top Bottom