Duck Videos Thread!

Ducks' first day of big pool this year:

0.jpg
That's a awesome pool! What do you do to clean it?

OK. That makes me feel better. I knew it was the same burd twice. He did react as spooked so I wasn't sure. Ok. So I have a question. Kaine is alpha over all sexes. But let's say the other girls regarded Greta as alpha woman. Couldn't a female ever be alpha over all sexes? And. Where is Casey figuring into all this? Is she back to her formidable self? Oh, the fish. Yes. U didn't need it for this pool session. They were so happy.
I suppose a girl could be the alpha (in all girl flocks, the alpha will sometimes grow a drake feather!) but Greta is only over everybody in her own head. Half the flock will retaliate against her and Kaine runs her off when he gets too many complaints. Casey was definitely knock down a couple pegs with her absence. Not sure where she stands now, somewhere near the middle. Noir is really trying to assert herself this year. She has successfully chased off Ettie who was at least 3 ducks above her and she has been trying to get Kaine's attention, favors and endorsement to help her advancement. She is also much bolder at treat time than she has been in the past. I guess she is tired of sharing last place with Dove. Her "sister" Mystique may be coaching her as Mystique has held a reasonably high position in the flock for quite some time. (One big soap Opera!!!)

I suppose a girl could be the alpha (in all girl flocks, the alpha will sometimes grow a drake feather!) but Greta is only over everybody in her own head. Half the flock will retaliate against her and Kaine runs her off when he gets too many complaints. Casey was definitely knock down a couple pegs with her absence. Not sure where she stands now, somewhere near the middle. Noir is really trying to assert herself this year. She has successfully chased off Ettie who was at least 3 ducks above her and she has been trying to get Kaine's attention, favors and endorsement to help her advancement. She is also much bolder at treat time than she has been in the past. I guess she is tired of sharing last place with Dove. Her "sister" Mystique may be coaching her as Mystique has held a reasonably high position in the flock for quite some time. (One big soap Opera!!!)
In my flock my hen Dory is the alpha, although Oliver generally leads the flock around. Dory makes sure no one eats treats until she is done!
lol.png

Thanks, I will refer you to my thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/966725/1900-gallons-of-ducky-bliss for more information than you could ever want - rationalization, considerations and results. For us, this is WAY less work than the kiddie pools (with 15 ducks) and we were just as happy as they were to get it back up.
Okay thank you!! It certainly looks like a great system!
thumbsup.gif

In my flock my hen Dory is the alpha, although Oliver generally leads the flock around. Dory makes sure no one eats treats until she is done!
lol.png

Okay thank you!! It certainly looks like a great system!
thumbsup.gif
I'm not sure if treats make the alpha... If that's the case, Allie would be my alpha. Her 10 lbs pushes all ducks out of the way when the meal worms come out.
gig.gif
In all other matters, she is definitely NOT the flock leader.

By the way... I have to laugh when people say their ducks can't climb the little ramps into their house... Ducks don't want to go in their house, of course the ramp is too hard. Put a pool at the end of a big steep ramp and see how competent the ducks become at ramp climbing.
gig.gif

It is a soap opera. I love it. All the dynamics. And the various girls lobbying to Kaine for his attention and furtherance of their status. These ducks mimic people so much. It's probably similar in street gangs with idiot gangsters. Although ducks are huggable and innocent and far better than thugs.

By the way... I have to laugh when people say their ducks can't climb the little ramps into their house... Ducks don't want to go in their house, of course the ramp is too hard. Put a pool at the end of a big steep ramp and see how competent the ducks become at ramp climbing.
gig.gif
Quacks me up too!!! Ive referred a couple people to your pool thread for that reason
big_smile.png

Quacks me up too!!! Ive referred a couple people to your pool thread for that reason
big_smile.png
They also love to climb on the "poop" pile which now that it is warming up is a steep pile of old pine shavings that avalanches while they climb. Doesn't matter, they want to be on top, they get there.
gig.gif
And who hasn't had a duck try to climb their chest to go over their shoulder...

Last edited:
They also love to climb on the "poop" pile which now that it is warming up is a steep pile of old pine shavings that avalanches while they climb.  Doesn't matter, they want to be on top, they get there. :gig And who hasn't had a duck try to climb their chest to go over their shoulder...
Whine...I haven't... Yet:)

Back
Top Bottom