Duck Videos Thread!

She's the only Pekin in a flock without a Muscovy Drake, or an Exhibition-Type Rouen and 5 of the flock are light weights (runners / KC). Tevye is as "big" as she is, but he's all string-bean with feathers and weighs half what she does.
Oh okay! Drakes are so busy keeping up with the hens they don't seem to be able to put on any weight! But Oliver is a runner and Nyasa is a Mallard, so they couldn't get too big anyway.

Thanks! I'm head over heels in love with my little flock!

I can see why
tongue.png

Oh okay! Drakes are so busy keeping up with the hens they don't seem to be able to put on any weight! But Oliver is a runner and Nyasa is a Mallard, so they couldn't get too big anyway.
I don't even think it's that. Tevye is built like a basketball player. Long limbs, long body, big bill, big feet and real fluffy feathers plus he has a big strong drake neck so he looks as big as the Pekin. But his body is slightly bigger in diameter than a runner (he is filled out with no outstanding keel - just the way he's built). He's about 5-1/2 lbs. vs Allie's 10. Here they are in the same picture. They both dwarf the runner and even Kaine.

With those great long wings and light weight (relatively), I bet he'd be a good flyer (but I won't encourage him).

Old pic showing off wing size:

Last edited:
I don't even think it's that. Tevye is built like a basketball player. Long limbs, long body, big bill, big feet and real fluffy feathers plus he has a big strong drake neck so he looks as big as the Pekin. But his body is slightly bigger in diameter than a runner (he is filled out with no outstanding keel - just the way he's built). He's about 5-1/2 lbs. vs Allie's 10. Here they are in the same picture. They both dwarf the runner and even Kaine.

With those great long wings and light weight (relatively), I bet he'd be a good flyer (but I won't encourage him).

Old pic showing off wing size:
Wow he must have a big frame then! His wings look big, it's possible he could fly a little! Either way he is adorable, even though I'm usually not a fan of crested ducks.
love.gif

Wow he must have a big frame then! His wings look big, it's possible he could fly a little! Either way he is adorable, even though I'm usually not a fan of crested ducks.
love.gif
Yeah, we got him before we knew how many problems Crested Ducks could have. We did know that females having their crest yanked instead of their necks during mating could be disastrous so that's why he's our other drake. We also knew that crested from both parents meant disaster in the shell, but at that time, we figured a professional place like Metzer would breed a non-crested with a crested and 50% of their offspring would be salable. We didn't know that "normal" one sided Crested Ducks could have as many problems as they do. I think we really lucked out there. Tevye seems to be a very happy duck and he is engaged with the other ducks, the only things "unusual" about him are he walks slow as molasses (although he can run like the wind when he wants to). He actually has very good balance and coordination - better than some of the other ducks as far as ramps and steps and not tripping over things. The other thing is he has to look over his shoulder more than other ducks because his rear vision is partially blocked by his poof, but he's the first one to see hawks, eagles and airplanes. The savage way he eats lettuce makes me think he doesn't have any kind of headaches either 'cause he would slow down a bit if he did. Also we lucked out aesthetically in my opinion because he has a big prominent crest that never gets so big it has to be trimmed and is centered fairly well on the top rear of his head where it only affects his vision slightly and looks like a styling do. I doubt we would ever get another Crested Duck because of all the potential problems, but we sure love Tevye.

Yeah, we got him before we knew how many problems Crested Ducks could have. We did know that females having their crest yanked instead of their necks during mating could be disastrous so that's why he's our other drake. We also knew that crested from both parents meant disaster in the shell, but at that time, we figured a professional place like Metzer would breed a non-crested with a crested and 50% of their offspring would be salable. We didn't know that "normal" one sided Crested Ducks could have as many problems as they do. I think we really lucked out there. Tevye seems to be a very happy duck and he is engaged with the other ducks, the only things "unusual" about him are he walks slow as molasses (although he can run like the wind when he wants to). He actually has very good balance and coordination - better than some of the other ducks as far as ramps and steps and not tripping over things. The other thing is he has to look over his shoulder more than other ducks because his rear vision is partially blocked by his poof, but he's the first one to see hawks, eagles and airplanes. The savage way he eats lettuce makes me think he doesn't have any kind of headaches either 'cause he would slow down a bit if he did. Also we lucked out aesthetically in my opinion because he has a big prominent crest that never gets so big it has to be trimmed and is centered fairly well on the top rear of his head where it only affects his vision slightly and looks like a styling do. I doubt we would ever get another Crested Duck because of all the potential problems, but we sure love Tevye.
Oh okay. Yes, I'm very thankful he is a boy for your sake. He does seem to do excellently, from videos I couldn't see any side effects! That's great he has a wonderful family.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom