Duck with Bumblefoot (Warning Viewer Discretion Is Advised)

How bad is he limping?

-Kathy
If they can't get anything out do you think continuing to soak will help it resolve on it's own along with the antibotic? Kathy?

@DiamondSwan Your going to have to find a way to get that pill down his throat with out it going down the wrong hole. Maybe crushing it and hiding it in something he likes real well.

I am so glad you found what was causing the problem. Bless his heart for being such a good boy, drakes really are special.

Ok, thank you all for your help! I'll keep you guys updated and take daily photos!
smile.png
That's great that he is taking his meds in his water. Look forward to updates!!

It was like a piece of stick are something, hard to tell. It was soft, but probably because of the ES. I guess I'll just keep an eye on it for a few days like you said. I try my best not to let him drink the ES. One time he got a sip of it, but I washed it down with water.
When I have to soak a foot on any of mine I use a small bucket or a plastic dish pan. Usually the bucket works better for keeping them from drinking I just put the warm water and ES stir to dissolve then place both feet in the bucket. [so much easier doing both] hold onto the duck or goose for at least 5 min longer if they will let me.With the dish pan because my ducks fill it up when they lay down they can't drink the water in it either.A small sip isn't going to hurt him, it's the big gulps that may cause the problem.

Last edited:
He had a little family reunion today. He got to see some of his siblings. He was very excited to see them. Here he is with the beautiful Goldie:

:)

Last edited:
Thank you, I'll try that too
smile.png
Hydrogen peroxide should only be used once for initial cleaning of the wound because it can hurt new skin. But betadine or antibiotic ointment would be fine to use . you may want to pick that scab off after soaking to see if there is any draining that needs to come out and look for any cheesey stuff inside the hole that will be the pus. I'm not sure how you going to get it out though with out digging That will not be easy. . Then you can pack with ointment and wrap till next day and see if that does any good.

Ok, so we picked the scab and couldn't see much underneath. I'm using the triple antibiotic and using a bandage between soakings. I've got him on a schedule now, spoiled ducky lol. I held him down while my mom was picking at his foot. He had his neck on my shoulder the entire time and he would nibble on my hair occasionally.
1f496.png

Picture of his foot for today:

From here it doesn't look much different. do you think there maybe something in there still.

I emailed the avian vet. They haven't gotten back with me yet, but that's ok cause we're going to Savannah tomorrow anyway. We can take him then.
Probably will need an apt don't you think? He sure is pretty.

Quote: It's amaizing what types of things can get stuck in them... Just had a rooster with "eye bumble"I was able to squeeze the pus out of his eye, but it kept building back up, so I got more aggressive and was able to get this foxtail to come out of his choanal slit:

Choanal Slit

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom