Dumpster Diving-Garage Sale-Goodwill-Thrift Store & Craigslist Finds

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

I agree!
gig.gif

Quote:
There's nothing embarrassing about saving the earth.

x2

x3
If you have a Habitat for Humanity restore nearby, that's a good place to get building materials, hardware, appliances, furniture, vanities, sinks, etc...very cheap. Some items in gently used condition or some needing minor repairs. Here's a Broyhill bureau I purchased for $12, converted into a chicken coop:
19157_007.jpg

My most recent find on CL~free~section are 2 Barred Rock hens, Clementine & Clara Belle, both tame. A hoe in great condition, metal roofing to replace roof that blew away, not free, but less than 1/2 what the stores charge. Last year a $13,000.00 Green house for $3,000.00, a new horse barn for $3500.00, well new to us, 2 stalls and enclosed hay storage. A gal wanting to groom and ride my older horse, free and eventually I gave him to her and made a friend as well. Many free nice chickens, gal selling Lavender Orpingtons (I bought 3). My new chicken coop 8 by 8 shed $1,000.00. The list goes on and on, we have found lots of great things at both garage sales and CL. Mountain Horse $200.00 riding boots for $50.00, western boots for $40.00.
big_smile.png

Quote:
x2

x3
If you have a Habitat for Humanity restore nearby, that's a good place to get building materials, hardware, appliances, furniture, vanities, sinks, etc...very cheap. Some items in gently used condition or some needing minor repairs. Here's a Broyhill bureau I purchased for $12, converted into a chicken coop:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/19157_007.jpg

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!
ep.gif
droolin.gif
love.gif

OMG !!!
thumbsup.gif

My mom is the TOTAL side of the road, dumpster diving queen. She also lives in a college town so there's tons of stuff she picks up. She has yard sales with the stuff she picks up and makes about $5000 a year having yard sales, not to mention the stuff she picks up that me and my sister need for our personal use. I have a bed bug PHOBIA so no more used stuff at my house either. There was about a 10x12 wool rug laying in the road the other day that blew out the back of somebody's truck that was BEAUTIFUL but I was too paranoid about bed bugs to stop and pick it up.

My DH used to be embarrassed about me picking stuff up out of the garbage at curbside until I brought him home a really nice 10 speed men's bike, then suddenly he LOVED my 'hobby.'

My favorite trash finds over the years would be a ton of toddler/young child yard toys - slides, teeter totters, one of those big plastic playhouses. All of my kids played with them and then I passed them along to family and friends for their kids. I also found a wooden side table that had a shelf on the bottom and the center of the top was cut out and had a beautiful piece of marble inlaid in it. I sanded it and refinished it and had it for years until the military movers broke it during our last move.
sad.png

My best yard sale find was a Kitchenaid stand mixer. It didn't have the beater or hook, just the mixer and stand and it needed a good cleaning, but it worked. I asked the guy what he wanted for it and he said $8 so I snatched that thing up and paid him quick!

Not Chicken Related But On A Trip, Down To My Son's I Found A Big Bag Of Stuffed Animals, We Cleaned Them Up & Some Of The Kids Got Stuffed Animals For Christmas.
Dottie In Va

Quote:
x2

x3
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/19157_007.jpg

I use furniture for my chickens as well....I used an open 6 x 8 foot wall unit ( you can see it on my page ) as part of a wall in my run. I am also using a huge antique glass and wood display case as a brooder.

Back
Top Bottom