Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

My baby boy is back where he came from. We dropped him off at the AZ Moringa Tree and Chick Farm. We met his parents and saw the baby boy we brought back several weeks ago - happy and healthy and running around.

Mr. McGregor was the most beautiful bird in our flock and everyone said how pretty he is. He remains so in a happy home. Gonna miss you big guy.

My baby boy is back where he came from. We dropped him off at the AZ Moringa Tree and Chick Farm. We met his parents and saw the baby boy we brought back several weeks ago - happy and healthy and running around.

Mr. McGregor was the most beautiful bird in our flock and everyone said how pretty he is. He remains so in a happy home. Gonna miss you big guy.
That and if the bird is "the sweetest one of the bunch" almost always guarantees it is a boy.
wink.png

Can you please explain how you are saying the EE on the left, with the giant comb, is a female, but mine in the picture (see previous page on this thread) is a male? I am trying to get a better understanding. Because now, of course, I think all my chickens look like a male because of my new paranoia.

It's not just the size, but the kind and size. The brown one looks like my Legbar cross EE. Coloring is the same and they have a big floppy comb. Here is a picture of mine:

Her pullet comb is bigger than my oldest cockerel's pea comb. She lays pale pink tinted eggs. I have another colored and feathered just like her, but has the muff and pea comb of an Ameraucana and lays a pale blue egg.

It's the only picture I have of Cleo and she's next to the one from above. As you can see, they are identical in plumage, but where Sheba has the puff on her head, Cleo has muff and beard. And where Sheba has the big floppy comb, Cleo has a pea comb.

Hi All. My EES are now 23 weeks. No eggs yet, but this time of year does not surprise me. Can ya'll just confirm that these are pullets? I'm pretty sure they are, but for some reason the black one gives me angst. It was doing the egg song (or what my other girls sound like when they are doing the egg song) this morning and when it did my bad to the bone silkie rooster chimed in. He is usually not noisy when the girls sing. They are the friendliest things. They follow me like puppies. Thanks for looking.

Pullets for sure! :)

Can you please explain how you are saying the EE on the left, with the giant comb, is a female, but mine in the picture (see previous page on this thread) is a male? I am trying to get a better understanding. Because now, of course, I think all my chickens look like a male because of my new paranoia.

If you compare your bird:

to that of CrazyNMS1's

you see that the feathering on her bird is much more uniform. And yes that comb is HUGE by EE hen "standards" (there are no standards!!) but at 23 weeks, she really doesn't need to ask, It would have crowed a long time ago if it were a roo. Please Ignore the fact that I have a BA hen that crows (only the first "Eer EEERR"), along with making a whole lot of other "not very chicken like" sounds. But she is 3.5 Y/O now and didn't start crowing until about a year or so back.

NewMarch's hen being somewhat of an outlier on "uniformity" but as you see she still has fairly EE typical "uniform" color "areas". Head merging to neck, breast and sides the same (usually same on the back, but her white "cape" extends farther and the light coloring of the tail extends more into the back than most I've seen) even though it is red/white patchy and tail. But that shade of red is VERY often the mark of a cockerel when they start popping up in patches on the wings.

If you happen to be able to post pictures of your boy as an adult (assuming he gets that far in his new home) I would love to see them. He looks like he will be quite attractive with the gold/black penciled cape and white beard and muffs.

Actually he was NOT the sweetest of the bunch. However, my sweetest girl is starting to get me nervous. She is a Rhode Island Red and I love, love ,love her. And some of her feathers are looking shiny. And her tail. And I better shut up now because I am upsetting myself.

Actually he was NOT the sweetest of the bunch. However, my sweetest girl is starting to get me nervous. She is a Rhode Island Red and I love, love ,love her. And some of her feathers are looking shiny. And her tail. And I better shut up now because I am upsetting myself.

I don't have RIR but shiny is not necessarily male. My BAs are shiny, my Anconas are shiny, my Partridge Chanteclers were shiny.

Post pictures! Of course EE sexing by comb and color doesn't apply to all breeds (understanding that EEs are not a "breed"). But I think the saddle and hackle feather shapes of males are pretty similar.

Can EE chicks be any color? I got some "Ameraucana" pullets from my local feed store today which I'm guessing are actually EE's. Anyways, they are allllllll different crazy colors.

Can EE chicks be any color? I got some "Ameraucana" pullets from my local feed store today which I'm guessing are actually EE's. Anyways, they are allllllll different crazy colors.

Yes, EE chicks can be any color. It sounds like you have joined our club of EE lovers
1f600.png

Would love to see pictures when you can get some up!

Back
Top Bottom