Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone this is not chicken related so I hope you don't mind.

My cousin (who is like a sister to me) and her husband are going Wednesday for results of his PET scan. He was diagnosed back in the early Summer with stage IV throat cancer. This is his first scan results since finishing chemo & radiation. I was just wanting to ask if you wouldn't mind keeping them in your thoughts and prayers.

Thanks

Hi everyone this is not chicken related so I hope you don't mind.

My cousin (who is like a sister to me) and her husband are going Wednesday for results of his PET scan. He was diagnosed back in the early Summer with stage IV throat cancer. This is his first scan results since finishing chemo & radiation. I was just wanting to ask if you wouldn't mind keeping them in your thoughts and prayers.

Thanks
Our thoughts are ALWAYS with our extended family here on BYC East TN thread.

Any thing that affects any of us always affects ALL of us.

@bairo- the chicks look nice did. Did you get any pullets from the hatch?

@stang & tnchicknut- glad to see you back

@TNBEARCHICK- sorry about your loses. Its very disheartening.
Thanks littlechicklet, I was off for a while after losing the chicks and stuff I became depressed (not to mention I haven't found a job yet for my internship to graduate this May), I sold most of all the younger chickens I had. I kept a small flock (my cochins, the deleware and 2 adult astraulorps) and then lost the deleware, just found her dead in the coop in the morning. Been focusing on the bunnies, but still enjoy having eggs and chicken in the freezer I know is free of nasty drugs bad for me.

Quote:
frow.gif
Glad to see you back.
wee.gif

Don't worry you will find what you need.
After ALL good things come to good people.
thumbsup.gif

OK guys, I need some advice. I can have 4 to 5 more hens in the current set-up we have,until hubby builds a large coop, then what we have will become a brooder or a Q for new birds. I'm looking for 4 to 5 hens now--I have a 10x10x6 foot covered pen and I have a used rabbit hutch that my hubby can put a roost in. However, I believe the hutch is much too small to shut them up in. Any suggestions for a temporary coop (hold 4 to 5 hens for 1 month) during cold weather? would a tent made from a tarp be warm enough? would chickens go through a flap? should I just use tarps on all sides, leave the door open on the hutch and let them roost in there at night?

Last edited:
OK guys, I need some advice. I can have 4 to 5 more hens in the current set-up we have,until hubby builds a large coop, then what we have will become a brooder or a Q for new birds. I'm looking for 4 to 5 hens now--I have a 10x10x6 foot covered pen and I have a used rabbit hutch that my hubby can put a roost in. However, I believe the hutch is much too small to shut them up in. Any suggestions for a temporary coop (hold 4 to 5 hens for 1 month) during cold weather? would a tent made from a tarp be warm enough? would chickens go through a flap? should I just use tarps on all sides, leave the door open on the hutch and let them roost in there at night?
First things first, How old are they and are they done molting?

Secondly are they used to being outside?

Finally, if the answers to the 1st two was yes, then they should be fine inside a tarp tent,
just make sure that there are no openings other than where they will enter and exit.

I do not believe that they will go through a flap door, but that is my personal opinion.

I know this is a long shot... but if anyone on here knows someone or is interested themselves in owning their own tract of land.. I have 7.4+/- land for sale!

good questions, I'm still looking for hens to buy.

What king of hens are you looking for and what ages?? Putting tarps around would be a good idea as long as nothing can get into them. No...wish chickens would do flaps...but mine sure won't. If you could throw up a hoop coop that is another idea. They are pretty basic to put up, cover and just put the hutch on the ground atop bricks.

@Stang....you farm would be considered a "Gentleman's Farm". I would advertise it as such. When I was in real estate anything between 5 and 10 acres was a GF. Also add if there are ponds..is the land rolling...things like that. If you need more ideas just send me a PM.

Sending out prayers.

Just made reservations for hotel at the Newnan, GA show!!!! Can't wait to go. Beth and I are going to drive up together. I am considering showing 3 of my chickens. This is going to be a major show and the Silkie Association is going to hold one of their national meets there. This is going to be exciting. A lot of big names are going to be there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom