Eastern Washington

Cam-n-Sara
Congrats on the new eggs! That is always an exciting time:D. Enjoy!

Thank you ninetreesmom. Yes it is exciting and means the four months worth of work growing the birds, building the coop etc. has paid off. These are our first ever chickens and the concerns of whether we are doing the right things is alleviated a bit.

Peace,

Cam-n-Sara

Congratulations, Cam-n-Sara.
Vicki, you are so thoughtful to consider the lives lost. I had never thought of it that way.
We have been busy but decided not to waste our money on the flat garage roof. Can you even believe anyone built a flat roof in the Cascades? I put a couple tarps on it and we are evaluating how to build a different roofline over the existing structure.
I know this is kind of a downer but I wanted to share a photo of Roman. He was our farm dog bred for guarding the animals and us. He did a fantastic job. He was hit by a truck yesterday. We never had a dog like this before. He literally had no faults. Here he is below at 10 1/2 months old (just a week ago). He had just killed a snake in our front yard. My boys and my ducks were hanging out in the front yard at the time.

Congratulations, Cam-n-Sara. Vicki, you are so thoughtful to consider the lives lost. I had never thought of it that way. We have been busy but decided not to waste our money on the flat garage roof. Can you even believe anyone built a flat roof in the Cascades? I put a couple tarps on it and we are evaluating how to build a different roofline over the existing structure. I know this is kind of a downer but I wanted to share a photo of Roman. He was our farm dog bred for guarding the animals and us. He did a fantastic job. He was hit by a truck yesterday. We never had a dog like this before. He literally had no faults. Here he is below at 10 1/2 months old (just a week ago). He had just killed a snake in our front yard. My boys and my ducks were hanging out in the front yard at the time.
Oh chickengarden, so sorry for your loss! Poor pup! Condolences to you and your family :-(

Congratulations, Cam-n-Sara. Vicki, you are so thoughtful to consider the lives lost. I had never thought of it that way. We have been busy but decided not to waste our money on the flat garage roof. Can you even believe anyone built a flat roof in the Cascades? I put a couple tarps on it and we are evaluating how to build a different roofline over the existing structure. I know this is kind of a downer but I wanted to share a photo of Roman. He was our farm dog bred for guarding the animals and us. He did a fantastic job. He was hit by a truck yesterday. We never had a dog like this before. He literally had no faults. Here he is below at 10 1/2 months old (just a week ago). He had just killed a snake in our front yard. My boys and my ducks were hanging out in the front yard at the time.
I'm so sorry for your loss. What a good dog. <3

chickengarden, You implied that Roman's accident was fatal, is that correct? I'm so sorry. Also super sad that the boys must have seen it happen. What a tragedy. There's nothing in the world like a good pup. I remember looking at the pics you posted a while back and I had to Google the breed of dog as I had never heard of them before. If I remember right, it's two different breeds that make up this one? Also, they get to around 150 lbs? What's the breed again? I remember thinking I might be interested in one someday.
Well my friend, my thoughts are with you. I hope you have better days ahead.

Thanks, everyone. He was the best dog we've ever had. I had no complaints about him and I can usually find a lot to complain about.
Vicki, you have a great memory. He was a Kangal/Boerboel. His breeder loves the more primitive breeds of dogs; those not so messed up by inbreeding (as he puts it). He owns the parents and grandparents and crossed these two breeds to produce a dog that was just as inclined to hang out with and protect livestock (the Kangal side) as he was to do the same for his people (the Boerboel side).
As you know, this whole land and livestock is new to us. When we lived in town we built Fort Knox for our chickens (buried fencing, electrified and a hen house covered with 1/2" hardware cloth). It was a lot of trouble! When we moved out here we were reluctant to go to all that effort for each type of animal we planned on having. I convinced my hubby to get a livestock guardian dog and we haven't had to worry about predators at all.
We feel so blessed to have stumbled upon Roman. We did not buy him from his breeder but found him on craigslist. Someone had bought two pups and could only keep one. I wasn't looking for any breed in particular. Now I am so grateful that we did not end up with the kind that barks all night to keep predators away.

On a happy note, Roman's breeder has his sister for sale. She's his pick of the litter so he kept her for breeding. She did not turn out as big as he likes so he's selling her.
Roman was the heart of this place and we don't want to do this without a dog like that. We are going to meet his sister this weekend.

PS This is the breeder's website. http://www.olympicdogs.net/

Back
Top Bottom