Eating eggs after using Wazine 17?

I have NOT stopped eating the eggs after using Wazine.
roll.png
NO health effects and I don't have worms.
tongue.png
just me ~ decide what is best for you.
smile.png
HOWEVER (coma) some other wormers may be a different consideration. i.e. Benzamidazole
It's your choice whether to eat eggs after worming or not, no matter what type of wormer it is. The same can be said about antibiotics whether there's a withdrawal period or not. One thing we know is that there IS residue in the eggs, no matter how slight. The problem is we dont know if an individual might be sensitive or allergic to the product which can possibly have dire consequences at the worst. Another thing we know for sure is eggs should NOT be fed back to chickens due to wormer/antibiotic residue in the eggs. Why? Because worms and bacteria build resistance to the product (wormer/antibiotic respectively.) When this happens the product requires increased dosage or a different kind of product is needed to treat/cure the problem. Everyone has heard of antibiotic resistance due to its overuse when not needed, rendering alot of antibiotics useless. The same is true for wormers; that's why ivermectin/eprinex is useless as wormers in chickens.
I only mention this simply because alot of folks figure if it's okay for them to eat the eggs, it's okay for chickens as well.
Personally, I observe withdrawal periods.

Last edited:
Here's my two cents - I figure almost every CAFO chicken laying eggs for human consumption gets regular antibiotic as well as wormer in its feed.

Now, granted, many people like me raise organically and ethically BUT people consume CAFO eggs every day and there are no reports of this directly affecting their health.

I have only had to worm once, I know this would make my chickens no longer "certified" organic however since they're for my own use I prefer not to let them suffer in the name of certification. We ate the eggs (piperazene was the wormer used) and did not notice any kind of off taste or personal side effect :):)

Last edited:
Hi, I realize this is a very old post...but I was wondering if you lived through the experiment? (haha) I am facing the same situation!

I was wondering if we could eat our girls’ eggs, too. I am the primary egg eater in the house and have just two layers, right now anyway. I think I will just continue eating the eggs and see what happens. 👍🏻😁

I was wondering if we could eat our girls’ eggs, too. I am the primary egg eater in the house and have just two layers, right now anyway. I think I will just continue eating the eggs and see what happens. 👍🏻😁
It depends what wormer you've used. I have no problem eating eggs after using benzimidazoles, but others such as ivermectin or levamisole, it's best to toss eggs for awhile.

Piperazine is no longer approved for use in laying hens, and it does so little anyway, there's no point in using it anyway. Fenbendazole is approved, and gets many more parasites, depending on the dose and length of treatment, and has no egg withdrawal now in the USA.
Most of us grow chickens and eat home grown eggs because we want a fresher product, and would be very offended (at least!) to find out that some commercial grower was using unapproved products out there.
I'm happy to follow best practices whenever possible!
Promoting drug resistance is not a good idea at all.
Mary

I used Wazine 17 for one day only.
Wazine is only given for one day. I've used it many times over the years. It is no longer available. It acts as a large roundworm flush, it doesnt treat any other types of poultry worms. There's a 14 day slaughter withdrawal period after using wazine. It has not been tested for egg withdrawal most likely due to the cost involved. Most folks tossed eggs in the garbage for 14 days after using wazine, you wont find anything in official writing.
Since wazine has been off the market for quite awhile, did you check the expiration date on the bottle?

Piperazine is no longer approved for use in laying hens, and it does so little anyway, there's no point in using it anyway. Fenbendazole is approved, and gets many more parasites, depending on the dose and length of treatment, and has no egg withdrawal now in the USA.
Most of us grow chickens and eat home grown eggs because we want a fresher product, and would be very offended (at least!) to find out that some commercial grower was using unapproved products out there.
I'm happy to follow best practices whenever possible!
Promoting drug resistance is not a good idea at all.
Mary
This is very useful information Mary and I really appreciate your input! THANK YOU!!!! 😁👍🏻

Back
Top Bottom