Eating eggs after using Wazine 17?

There's some good info provided in the link, albeit outdated.
It said a year old..I'm lost here. Ive not really dealt with worms. I'm scouring online..for anything easy to use. I just want a wormer reasonably priced that i can put in my chickens water. I've had chickens for a long time but oddly enough first time I ever saw a worm. I'm sorta totally freaked out by parasites. Snakes..rodents..heights don't scare me but tics or parasites! I have 11 chickens in this large area.. I found a worm yesterday..this is not cool. Also my jerk 7 month dog likes to get In the straw which is outside of my chicken area and eat poo. My chickens all are eating fine and laying normally.. occasional diahhrea with a couple of them that's it. No ones even skinny. I'm looking everywhere. I need..something I can stick in their water, reasonably priced, and I need thorough instructions. I'm good with fractions but instructions with decimals are no good to me..😭

Piperazine is no longer available for chickens, and only kills some roundworms anyway. You will want to use fenbendazole, and dosage and days to be treated varies, depending on what you are treating. And to know what's actually there, have a fecal run at your veterinarian's.
I think @Wyorp Rock has dosage information for fenbendazole.
Mary

Im pretty sure it's roundworm. I've been reading a lot. However I live in the boonies. Nearest vet is an hour. Vet is not an option . Plus I have a farmers mentality when it comes to chickens. My girls are for eggs and meat. I'd prefer not to be ripped off by a vet. I've already got a hug bill coming my way when I neuter fido..😭 Thank you for your reply. It's very appreciated..I want to nip this in the bud. I think it might only be one or two gals.
Piperazine is no longer available for chickens, and only kills some roundworms anyway. You will want to use fenbendazole, and dosage and days to be treated varies, depending on what you are treating. And to know what's actually there, have a fecal run at your veterinarian's.
Mary

Mary

Piperazine is no longer approved for use in laying hens, and it does so little anyway, there's no point in using it anyway. Fenbendazole is approved, and gets many more parasites, depending on the dose and length of treatment, and has no egg withdrawal now in the USA.
Most of us grow chickens and eat home grown eggs because we want a fresher product, and would be very offended (at least!) to find out that some commercial grower was using unapproved products out there.
I'm happy to follow best practices whenever possible!
Promoting drug resistance is not a good idea at all.
Mary

That's funny because in Canada it is currently the only approved de-wormer for laying hens that can be purchased for on-label use at a farm supply store.

Every other de-wormer I have purchased in Canada is used off-label based off instructions I found on this website.

I'm looking everywhere. I need..something I can stick in their water, reasonably priced, and I need thorough instructions.
It's better to just worm each individual bird. There's really not a good dewormer that goes in the drinking water. They settle out and don't mix.

Valbazen or Safeguard are both good choices.

For Roundworms Only, Safeguard (Fenbendazole) dose is 0.25 ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeat in 10 days.

OR

Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight give orally once, then repeat in 10 days.
For an average size hen (large fowl) most folks just round up and give .50ml

@dawg53 has a pretty detailed account of how to administer Valbazen in this link. The technique can be used for administering most oral medications.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/top-soil-in-run.1518547/post-25568293

It's better to just worm each individual bird. There's really not a good dewormer that goes in the drinking water. They settle out and don't mix.

For Roundworms Only, Safeguard (Fenbendazole) dose is 0.25 ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeat in 10 days.

OR

Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight give orally once, then repeat in 10 days.

@dawg53 has a pretty detailed account of how to administer Valbazen in this link. The technique can be used for administering most oral medications.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/top-soil-in-run.1518547/post-25568293
Thank you..I thought water would be easiest..its gonna suck to dose them individually..can't anything be easy.....ever.

Hey could someone link a picture of this stuff? Is it the goat stuff or horse stuff..? It would be awesome to see the actual product so can use those instructions..youve been most helpful..

OR

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/top-soil-in-run.1518547/post-255682

valbazen.jpg 1231780759885-746958466.jpg

Back
Top Bottom