Edmond Oklahoma

Edmond Native are you on Covel rd? I see a flock of guineas out by the road most days. Are they yours? Mine have to stay cooped due to hawks. It is so bad that when I walked down to the trash cans at the road with newspapers with chicken poop on them, the hawks swooped down on me.

Maryann

Ginger you can email me at [email protected]

I live in Edmond, would definitely participate in campaigning for backyard chickens! I wonder what the law, ordinance actually says....

Our family just moved here from Colorado. We have let go of our livestock because we will be renting a home until we figure out where we want to live and buy. We'd like to rent some property, but are having a hard time finding anything, so that ended up being a wise choice.

Any thing new on the laws changing?

I did find a site that you can type in your address to find out if you are in city limits and the Edmond city website said in city limits...so I read that as if your address didn't fall into city limits you could have chickens - thoughts?

Here's the links.

http://gis.edmondok.com/addresslocator/ - this one tells you if you are in city limits or not

http://edmondok.com/faq.aspx down under community image number 14.

I was hoping to be able to have a few chickens if allowed. We have loved our chickens and the ability to have our own eggs. We'd love to help get the laws changed if there is still a need for voices.

Oh, and anyone know where I can find eggs (to eat)? I'm also looking for goat's milk, preferably raw...there's a can of worms I'm sure, although I was glad to see that it is possible to buy here. :)

Thanks.

I live in Oklahoma County just outside the Edmond City Limits. Anyway, you have to have atleast 2 ac if you are on well and septic. As long as you are not in a subdivision that restricts animals you can have your chickens. There are some land around that is for sale that is not in a subdivision, you just have to build your own house. Basically the same in Logan county. I live on 10 ac and do as I please. I do have 8 chickens but don't get that many to sell.

Maryann

I am new here and looking to get into raising chickens for eggs I live close to ou medical and wanted to be sure that I won't be a outlaw here not that I really care but what I understand is 6 hens and more then 25 yds from any neibors any info would be great

Are you talking OU med Edmond or another town? in Edmond the current law is 5 ac to have chickens or other livestock. Only exception is older acerage addtions that allowed them on smaller sized lots such as 1 1/2 ac or 2. They are far and few. I live just outside the city limits on 10ac and can do what I want. The city is currently studying a new ordinance for backyard chickens. I'm talking about the City of Edmond. Other cities, I don't know.

I think OKC was looking at a backyard chicken ordinace but nothing came of it. How much land are you on? Is it zoned ag or single family?

With that info, I would say that you are not allow to have livestock or poultry. Okc had planned on backyard chickens but dropped the idea. Sorry for the bad news. If you can get away with it fine. Just don't know how strick the city will be if someone reports you. My take is that if you take care of them, they are less for a problem then some ones yapping dog. and a lot of dog owners don't pick up the yard after their dog. I'd rather have someone who takes care of their chickens then a dog owner who has a dog yap at all hours of the day or night. As far as snells, I had to keep my hen who had a fractured jobobone, and went through 3 hrs of surgery and was wearing a partial upper beak cast for 6 weeks in the house. She had a dog kenel in my garage conversion that is still in the works. (has heat and air) I would let her out in the room with newspaper down 2 twice a day and hand feed treats. She pottie trained herself in about two days. She would squat and wait for me to put more newspaper under her before doing her duty. I would wrap it up and put it into a trash bag and take it out to the trash cans. My house smelled worst with a parket that I had years ago then from her in the house. She was clean and dusted when at the vet hospital. Clean chicken, clean cage, no smell. Point being if you keep clean, no one should tell from the smell.

Back
Top Bottom