Egg bound? sour crop? Tried everything not sure what to do

I think four days ago now from what i have noticed. or five not sure if thats to long 😓 but could it be that maybe they stop laying when they get sour crop?
To be completely honest, a lot of times, especially with older hens, crop issues are a side affect caused by reproductive issues. What is their feed brand exactly so we have all the necessary information. @azygous @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive These folks are much more knowledgeable than me

To be completely honest, a lot of times, especially with older hens, crop issues are a side affect caused by reproductive issues. What is their feed brand exactly so we have all the necessary information. @azygous @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive These folks are much more knowledgeable than me
Thanks for all your time and help. i worried that..although she is only three. is that typically to old? i buy feed for them from Maysville elevator, its all whole grains and i give them access to oyster shells and minerals. i wondered because its spring, possibly she ate long grass blades? and impacted turned into sour crop?

@Auntiejessi3 is correct. It's usually a reproductive blockage that can trigger a crop issue since everything down there is connected.

Read over the article on how to diagnose and treat a crop issue. But before you jusmp into treating the crop, first give her a probiotic tablet, some grit, and most important, a calcium citrate tablet directly into her beak. It will stimulate contractions to push out a stuck egg.
P1010010.jpeg
This is what you want.

Thanks for all your time and help. i worried that..although she is only three. is that typically to old? i buy feed for them from Maysville elevator, its all whole grains and i give them access to oyster shells and minerals. i wondered because its spring, possibly she ate long grass blades? and impacted turned into sour crop?
I completely understand your skepticism, and that "3" isn't that old, but chickens don't have near the lifespan as even dogs and cats unfortunately. I am not trying to be a negative Nancy, just being realistic and keeping things in perspective. I recently went through this with a very sweet 7 month old orpington, she started laying, all was well, then the soft eggs started, fixed that, then crop issues, fixed that, then they started again with a swollen belly...I did everything I could, antibiotics, calcium, coconut oil, stool softener, but sometimes something just isn't right in there. Listen to @azygous , she knows her stuff! I hope your hen makes it with all my heart! ❤️

Last edited:
I completely understand your skepticism, and that "3" isn't that old, but chickens don't have near the lifespan as even dogs and cats unfortunately. I am not trying to be a negative Nancy, just being realistic and keeping things in perspective. I recently went through this with a very sweet 7 month old orpington, she started laying, all was well, then the soft eggs started, fixed that, then crop issues, fixed that, then they started again with a swollen belly...I did everything I could, antibiotics, calcium, coconut oil, stool softener, but sometimes something just isn't right in there. Listen to @azygous , she knows her stuff! I hope your hen makes it with all my heart! ❤️
Yeah, your not being negative at all, i really appreciate it. And 7 months is pretty young so sorry. i will keep researching anything for her and check out Azygous thanks a whole ton for your time. i recently gave her an epsom salts mixture syringed into the beak and she seemed to have crapped a lot after wile as before wasnt much at all. so hopefully she will snap out of it and feel better.

@Auntiejessi3 is correct. It's usually a reproductive blockage that can trigger a crop issue since everything down there is connected.

Read over the article on how to diagnose and treat a crop issue. But before you jusmp into treating the crop, first give her a probiotic tablet, some grit, and most important, a calcium citrate tablet directly into her beak. It will stimulate contractions to push out a stuck egg. View attachment 3806281This is what you want.
Thank you! at first i thought possibly that she ate long grass, got impacted crop then it led to sour crop, but i think it could be an egg stuck possibly as well. I have been giving her probiotics but will definitely look into the calcium citrate. thanks for the picture also.

Don't waste time getting the calcium citrate into her. We just had a hen die last week after being egg bound. She passed the egg, but didn't have enough blood calcium left to keep her heart beating. Calcium is such a simple safe mineral, but it sure is important in egg laying and keeping the heart beating.

Back
Top Bottom