Eggs In the Incubator

I decided to intervene tonight. I opened up the air cell ends of what eggs I had left. I had a total of 8. Two were dead already and 2 were trying to do an internal pip. I helped them get to some air. The last 4 were all turned toward the wrong end. I was able to turn two of those ones around without damaging any veins. The other 2 didn't make it though :( So, out of the 20 I started with, I will be lucky to have 4 survive. I don't like to intervene but I've lost an entire hatch in the past by waiting too long to help out. At this point I am going to invest in a better incubator. The Styrofoam one I'm using isn't very reliable. I will get pictures if/when they hatch all the way. Thanks for listening :)

Thank you, me too. I'm so worried about them. They are all still breathing after 2 hours of being left alone. We'll see how they fare through the night.

I'm new to BYC, but I read your posts and story about what you've been going through, and sure hope they do ok and are ok in the morning. I have 8 in a LG bator on lock down right now...Its my first hatch. And I think I am more nervous than when my grandkids were being born. I have no idea how my first attempt at starting a flock will go. I've worked hard at it...but there is still SO much I don't know, and I know I've made a few mistakes.
I'm worrying myself sick over a few things, that I think I will go post questions on another thread here. Good luck. Sounds like they have a good Mother hen!

I'm new to BYC, but I read your posts and story about what you've been going through, and sure hope they do ok and are ok in the morning.   I have 8 in a LG bator on lock down right now...Its my first hatch.  And I think I am more nervous than when my grandkids were being born. I have no idea how my first attempt at starting a flock will go.   I've worked hard at it...but there is still SO much I don't know, and I know I've made a few mistakes.
I'm worrying myself sick over a few things, that I think I will go post questions on another thread here.  Good luck. Sounds like they have a good Mother hen!

I just put my 7 eggs for lock down too
I'm so nervous & worry about humidity..... I start with 70% hope good enough
Last time I cand the air cell not really different from the day 14 ....hope I don't drown my chicks
1f623.png
1f623.png

Only 1 survived the night and I'm just sick about it. The others seemed good last night all of them were breathing with a few chirps here and there. It's always hard to decide to intervene or not. I don't think any of them would have survived if I didn't but now I feel like I'm the one that killed the ones I tried to help. They're so fragile. At least 1 is left, hopefully it will pull through.

Intervening probably saved the one that did survive. Chicks are very delicate and some will die even with the most experienced chicken keepers. If your little one does pull through you should look on CL or at a feed store for another chick close in age to keep her company and bolster her spirit. There is also a Facebook group called Backyard Urban Chickens (eastern washington) that might be able to offer tips or chicks.

Thank you for the feedback :) I already thought about getting him a friend. I do have a hen that loves babies for some reason so I might see if she will take the chick too. There are some barred rock chicks for sale that are close to me :)

Back
Top Bottom