Eggs what do you do with surplus??????????????

That's a great tip on freezing the eggs!!! Never fail to learn something very valuable on here! Thank God for BYC!
I was getting a little overrun with eggs but we had a farmer's market here (YES! Even in Elko, NV!!!) People snapped them up at 2.50$. I put a card with my phone # in each carton and asked them to call me if they wanted more. I also tried to sell Jeeper's duck eggs but that did not go over quite as well.. What's the big deal about Duck eggs? Everyone turned up their noses. Poor Jeepers is thinking about selling the ducks, as there just is no market for the eggs.
Also, I keep a ziplock in the freezer and everytime we have eggs to eat for any reason I smash the shells and put them in the bag...when i am short on goodies for them I will defrost some shells and throw them in. I make angel food cakes often and will use all the whites for the cake and then cook all the yolks for the girls..I freeze this in the same bag with the shells..
All the other suggestions sound good too..People never forget when you give them something unconditionally

Poundcake uses up quite a few eggs. Meringue cookies are really good but use only the whites. Deviled eggs are always nice. Egg breads will use up a few. The only problem is you'd be spending the entire day cooking and baking only to be facing the same issue in another few days. I like bartering but it's fall and the harvest is over. Mine are starting to accumulate so this is a good thread. Keep the ideas coming.

So to freeze the eggs all you do is salt the yokes and freeze them in ice trays. What a brilliant idea! Thanks for all the good information. Love this site above all others.
big_smile.png

big_smile.png

ok, well today I was told again I am asking too much for my eggs. I did not argue with this so called friend nor did I leave the dozen large to jumbo eggs I selected for her out of all the eggs I got. when she goes to buy eggs next time she will see regular eggs are 3.19/dozen at walmart and 3.97 at the grocery store. Large and jumbo eggs are a lot more. When I left her place I went straight to the food bank and spoke to the director. I was afraid he would say sorry no we cannot take them cause they are perishables. but I told him, I will keep them in my fridge, and right before they package the food boxes he can call me and I will swing them by. He was happy and said well I guess we will see you tomorrow. I got 6 dozen all ready to go for the food bank tomorrow. A friend who owns a re sale appliance store is putting an apartment size fridge away for me and will deliver it if I cannot get it home myself. I paid nothing for this fridge and its in excellent shape. I just gave him a dozen eggs and he was happy with that. If I had family around here I wouldn't have this issue, nor if my DH was in town, cause him and his hunting/fishing buddies would polish them off rather quickly.

With all the ideas I have been given I am not going to have any issues now. my closest friends buy eggs from me, and they are good at keeping rinsed eggshells and the couple friends I have that grow vegies on their land and sell at the farmer's market have been stopping by with a box or two a week full of vegies for the chickens.

I am lucky - with only 3 girls laying - I still have some leftovers for family. My circle of family is so big - there is always someone who can use some eggs. I have also gotten quite addicted to my homemade egg mcmuffin each morning for breakfast...

I am glad to hear about freezing them - it is getting that time of year when I want to bake and keep the house warm!

Wondering how long eggs will really last in the frig.....I have been saving since August... Are they ok to sell. I didn't think to mark the cartons and now they got mixed up. They all seem good and I have read they will last months. I usually dont wash the chicken eggs, but the duck eggs I usually do wash, but I seem to use the duck eggs up in cooking. I guess I have to make that sign this weekend! LOL

We live in a small town outside of phoenix, & we give ours to the community center for their food boxes.
wink.png

When eggs get to the grocery store they are already 45 days old minimum, then you keep them how much longer in your fridge? So i'd say they'll be good awhile,
wink.png

Fritata
saute up a 1lb package of sausage of your choice and set aside. In the same pan (perferably an iron skillet) saute some chopped onion, peppers and a clove of garlic ( or get one of the frozen seasoning blends from the freezer section and saute ) Mix with the sausage, throw in about 2 cups of your favorite shredded cheese and mix with 8-10 scrambled eggs over the heat. Stir for about 5 minutes or until egges begin to set then finish in a 375 degree oven until completly set and solid. Slam it out on a cutting board and slice it like a pizza. Serve with crusty bread or homemade biscuits!

Try making a cheese cake. I have recipes that call for almost a dozen eggs, and I can't even imagine how fabulous that cheese cake would be with farm eggs. I have to buy farm eggs off Craigslist for $4/doz. and I think I'm getting a huge bargain. If you haven't advertised on Craigslist yet, you might try that. I drive almost 40 minutes one way for these eggs and still thinking I'm getting a bargain. I have sisters on the other side of the state who would do anything to find farm fresh eggs but can't find them. I like your ideas of selling the first dozen at a bargain price adn letting them know that future prices would be greater, because once you've had these amazing eggs, those grocery store things just look anemic and are tasteless.

Back
Top Bottom