Excavation by Birds - A Word of Warning

wonder if this is for foraging or more for dirt baths. my girls like to make nice bathing holes, and i am planning to build in a bathing container inside and one outside for them... shady and sunny, hoping to deter bigger holes as we move forward... any insights?

IMO it's mostly foraging, even if your run is mostly dirt their instincts tell them to scratch around in hopes of finding a bug or worm.

I do provide a nice dust bath for my flock that they use often, but it doesn't stop them from making holes.

They do love their digging, so put them to work. Pop a compost pile in one corner and let them turn it over for you. Give them a tall pile of leaves\mulch\lawn clippings... don't spread it around yourself - that's their job and they'll be very efficient about it. if you do need to fill some holes, loose dirt is a trigger so add something to the run to keep them distracted while the dirt gets a chance to compact down..

Give them a tall pile of leaves\mulch\lawn clippings... don't spread it around yourself - that's their job and they'll be very efficient about it.
No doubt!
When I add bedding material I just dump it in a pile and they have it all spread out before I return with the next load. They are scared when I roll the first wheel barrow load in, then get all excited to see subsequent loads roll in.

Last edited:
If I need to do any coop or run maintenance that involves digging, I do it at night when they're all locked up in the coop because #1 they're a pain and keep getting in the way of the shovel, rake, hammer #2 said maintenance will within 10 minutes become another hole! So I do what I need to and cover it back over leaving no trace of freshly dug soil! Who am I kidding they always seem to find it anyway and dig it up for closer inspection! :thChickens....don’t you just love 'em!

@CCUK
Time to invest in these and hook them to a Jethro Tull device.
serveimage

The dude from Berkshire,:caf
220px-Jethro_Tull_%28agriculturist%29.jpg

Back
Top Bottom