Existing Coop filled with mouse droppings

domikin

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 16, 2013
I have a "new" large walk in coop that is elevated(1 foot off ground) and rather nice with wired electrical outlets and lights. It is completely inside a chicken run, but connected to an unused hog pen on one side.

It hasn't been used in years and I have new chicks going in there in a few weeks. What is a good way to get it clean so that it isn't a biohazard to the new chicks and to make sure that the mouse stay gone or get eliminated?

I was thinking of sweeping and a shopvac to get rid of most of it and then

It's at the edge of a field so most likely field mice

Mouse dropping are bad for you and your poultry. Get them cleaned immediately. Make sure that you put traps around to dicourage mice. If they are getting into feed then lock that up safely
I have a "new" large walk in coop that is elevated(1 foot off ground) and rather nice with wired electrical outlets and lights. It is completely inside a chicken run, but connected to an unused hog pen on one side.

It hasn't been used in years and I have new chicks going in there in a few weeks. What is a good way to get it clean so that it isn't a biohazard to the new chicks and to make sure that the mouse stay gone or get eliminated?

I was thinking of sweeping and a shopvac to get rid of most of it and then

It's at the edge of a field so most likely field mice

Welcome! Wear at least a N95 face mask, boots, gloves, and clothes that you will put in the washer immediately. I would limit sweeping, or anything that raises dust. Dampen it all before sweeping, at least. The dust and gunk in chicken coops is dangerous, besides the rodent pee and poo. YUCK!
Be safe when you clean it out. If possible, use a cleaner, and then bleach or some other disinfectant.
At least set traps, and consider bait for a while to clean out any residents.
Also, fix any issues with the coop, like gaps that critters can use to enter.
Mary

Thanks for the tips. I thought it was older, but saw fresh droppings in addition to gnawing through a closed tupperware lid to get into what was inside(pig treats). I have these in the horse barn where there is also droppings and haven't gotten lucky. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/tomcat-mouse-snap-trap-pack-of-2?cm_vc=-10005

What traps actually work and won't hurt the chickens?
You say new chicks...Are you talking baby chicks? If so, keep them contained and/or put mice traps up where they can't get them...when they get bigger they will eat the mice. I have tomcats as well, but honestly the old school victor snaps are better IMO. Glue traps work, but they're just as bad sometimes...Otherwise, do you have a real cat you could shut in there for a week or two?

Thanks for the tips. I thought it was older, but saw fresh droppings in addition to gnawing through a closed tupperware lid to get into what was inside(pig treats). I have these in the horse barn where there is also droppings and haven't gotten lucky. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/tomcat-mouse-snap-trap-pack-of-2?cm_vc=-10005

What traps actually work and won't hurt the chickens?
I found those traps to be weak, easy to set and empty but if they don't work, that's no bonus.
Have had them disappear to be found later with dead mouse that crawled behind/under something. I prefer the old standard snap traps.
upload_2018-5-1_18-54-19.png

Set bait end against wall or flat vertical surface for better kill rate.
Can put them inside a shoe box with secure lid and make mouse sized holes in sides to keep chickens out...or could put them under a milk crate.
Use metal cans with tight lids for feed storage.

You'll have to keep traps set and checked every day or few until population decreases.

Back
Top Bottom