Fairfax County, VA

I completely agree, especially with your second point. I find it ridiculous that many of us cannot afford to purchase properties > 2 acres, yet we can't keep hens when the neighborhood dogs are barking all night long. My lot is 15k, and I do not see why I can't keep hens.
Is there something we could do

Hi there!

I have chickens in my backyard and someone just called the ffxc code zoning people on me. Just trying to figure out what to do.

:/

not in VA, but some tips:

go to BYC forum “Social” > where am I, where are you?” > pinned post on top contains a state threads. Find your state snd post there bc you might get more local responses there.

On this thread, you can click on a user name to see when last active. find others on this thread that are active and you can tag them like this @Super fresh, just by using the “@“ before their user name. Then you may get additional replies.

good luck with yourfight!

Hi all
Thanks for the support. I am about to submit application for 10 chicken on our .6 acre land. I am using the attached sample application. We are simple going to use cattlepanel for chicken coop 7 ft by 13 ft.
So my questions is will they allow 10 chickens. And for the plat i am just hand drawing on my property map/
Any guidance will be appreciated

This might be the wrong place to go for this, but I’m hitting a wall with where to ask to buy freshly-laid eggs in Fairfax or just NOVA generally. My friend is from the countryside, and he’s very homesick for good eggs. He would love to be able to buy a dozen or more eggs a week to cook with, if anyone here would be willing to sell. He hasn’t been able to find good eggs in the USA yet, so if anyone is willing to help, he would be so grateful.
Thank you!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone needs help with chicken permit application let me know. I have just gone through the process in Fairfax County, Virginia.
I have just started filling out my Fairfax county Special Permit application. It seems daunting but I am determined. What did you write for your justification? How detailed was your Plat plan? You can reach me on here or at jimbgator at G Mail dot com

If anyone needs help with chicken permit application let me know. I have just gone through the process in Fairfax County, Virginia.
I have just started filling out my Fairfax county Special Permit application. It seems daunting but I am determined. What did you write for your justification? How detailed was your Plat plan? You can reach me on here or at jimbgator at G Mail dot com

Unfortunately the plat needs to be very detailed. We had recently purchased our home and therefore had an extra plat from the survey. I had to add additional measurements to the plat. Be warned though, the county used the information on my plat to evaluate my property for other code violations. So if you're deck is too high or your shed is too close to your fence they'll try and make you submit another application for those items. Good luck.
Justification isn't too bad from what I remember (my application was two years ago). Just include the articles you're applying to be exceptions. At the time of my application the main one was article 2-512 paragraph 3(b). Be sure to tell them what you're going to do with the waste and where the coop will be. Before it went to the board a county employee worked with me to get it all straightened out so you will have some assistance. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Unfortunately the plat needs to be very detailed. We had recently purchased our home and therefore had an extra plat from the survey. I had to add additional measurements to the plat. Be warned though, the county used the information on my plat to evaluate my property for other code violations. So if you're deck is too high or your shed is too close to your fence they'll try and make you submit another application for those items. Good luck.
Justification isn't too bad from what I remember (my application was two years ago). Just include the articles you're applying to be exceptions. At the time of my application the main one was article 2-512 paragraph 3(b). Be sure to tell them what you're going to do with the waste and where the coop will be. Before it went to the board a county employee worked with me to get it all straightened out so you will have some assistance. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Thanks for the advice and encouragement

Does anyone know what happens with the notifying of your neighbors? If I pay the permit fee, but one of my neighbors doesn’t like the idea of chickens, am I just out of luck or how does that work? Thank you!

This is helpful. I have the survey from when we bought our house last year -- so you just added the extra information yourself, and that was accepted? Or did you have a professional add the additional measurements? Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom