Fairfax County, VA

Nisorat

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 20, 2009
Hello!

I live in Fairfax County Va and am interested in getting chickens. I have no privacy fence and so it'd be obvious if I raised them illegally. The Co. ordinance says:

" The keeping of livestock or domestic fowl is allowed as an accessory use on any lot of two (2) acres or more in size. "

I have .44 acres and can't afford anything larger! I've been thinking about petitioning the County to change the rules but was wondering if anybody else from the area is around the forum and has ideas or wants to help. I'm not even sure how to start, but I figure I'll just start making phone calls and go from there.

Thanks in advance!

Quote:
Sorry, I cannot support the idea of deliberately breaking the law. Most communities rely heavily on volunteers who do a lot of the grunt work of organizing various community events. And by doing that you gain exposure and (assuming that you do well) credability as to your efforts. and therefore your opinions.

Eek! Tough crowd.
hide.gif

Hi there!

I am new to this message board but came across this thread while looking for some assistance with my OWN Fairfax County crusade to allow backyard chicken keeping!
smile.png

I live in Sulgrave Manor, which is in the Fairfax County portion of Alexandria, and I spoke first with our local Supervisor's office, who then referred me to the President of our Civic Association; from there, I was charged with writing a resolution to change the zoning for our neighborhood, which consists of half acre lots almost exclusively. From there, our Civic Association will send forward to the Supervisor, who will then in turn work towards a change in County-wide rules. But everything I have heard and read says, start where you live and work your way out!
smile.png
So that's what we're doing.

I am in the process of gathering information for writing the proposed resolution, which will be presented at the January 20th (I think -- I haven't got my calendar in front of me this minute) Civic Association meeting for voting, so I'm also gathering basic information on why raising chickens in the backyard is not a nuisance to neighbors when done properly, or at least not any more so than keeping a dog in one's backyard, etc, so that I have gentle ammunition to use against the expected naysayers.

Has anybody got suggestions in terms of what restrictions and language to include? I would prefer to shy away from number specifics, and I don't really even want to get into the idea of barring roosters altogether, as part of the reason I want to have this law changed is so that those wishing to raise their own meat birds are able to do so autonomously. The restriction I would impose is simple -- those wishing to keep chickens must abide by sanitary and nusiance laws when keeping birds, and then to generally restrict bird numbers by acre much as the current Fairfax County law does, to the same proportion, e.g., if 1 bird unit of 32 chickens is allowed per acre, that's as many as 16 birds per half acre. I probably would put in a restriction that no more than ONE rooster can be kept, however, so as to avoid things like cock fighting enterprises and excessive noise ordinance difficulties. Any other suggestions?

Liz

Fairfax County needs a relaxation of chicken and livestock laws. I would suggest the following points:

1) All changes should be relaxing the laws without any new restrictions on what is currently possible. For example, chickens aged 2 months and younger are allowed on an lot because they are considered to be commonly accepted pets. Technically, you can raise those modern fast-growing crossbreed meat birds in 2 months--although not old enough to lay eggs.

2) A good argument to justify a relaxation of the laws for smaller lots in Fairfax County is the fact that the land has been so subdivided, and the property values have gone up so much that it is nearly impossible for anyone to afford a 2-acre property in order to raise birds. All of the 2-acre lots continue to either be subdivided or they build mansions that are unaffordable to all but the wealthiest residents.

There is thus a good "equity" argument for enabling access of chickens to low- and middle-income families by reducing the lot size for chickens, and possibly even allowing some smaller birds like quail, etc. in townhomes or in indoor (garage) facilities.

At the minimum, we should be able to get chickens down to 1/2 acre lots where zoned R-2--still complying with the bird unit limit or some maximum number, whichever is less. Maybe no roosters, but don't volunteer restrictions, use that as a concession in the negotiation.

Think about whether we just want to do chickens, or whether we want to do all fowl and livestock. We could propose animal and bird units that would be acceptable on lots down to 1/2 acre, such as one miniature pony, small goat breeds, etc.

Hi all--

I'm interesting in getting the ordinance changed to allow for people keeping a couple of chickens (maybe no rooster!) in even a 1/4 acre backyard. Fresh eggs are the best!

Please provide any additional info you have as it becomes available on groups, dates, etc.

Thanks!

If you could just make it general Herndon instead of the town of Herndon that would be awesome. Right now for Herndon it says you can have 1 hen, no roosters. But only 1 hen is kind of mean since chickens don't do well by themselves. Also there's a group on Facebook called Chickens for Fairfax. They are trying to change the rules for Fairfax County.

I am very interested. And I have noticed many people who are too. We should gather ourselves and study action moving forwards.
Please let me know if you want to do something as a group.

Back
Top Bottom