Fairfax County, VA

Hi - I'm new to this as well, but very interested in being able to raise my own chicks.

I found this:

Fairfax, Virginia, Code of Ordinances >> PART II - CODE >> Chapter 110 - ZONING >> ARTICLE V. - R-3 RESIDENTIAL DISTRICT >>
Sec. 110-511. - Permitted uses—by right.

The following uses are permitted by right in the R-3 residential district:
(1)Single-family detached dwellings;
(2)Agricultural uses provided no animals may be kept within 100 feet of any property line;
(3)Accessory structures;
(4)Minor home occupations;
(5)Rental or leasing of single-family dwellings for occupancy by persons who are not the owners, provided that the property owner shall have obtained a certificate of occupancy for rental use from the zoning administrator pursuant to section 110-367;
(6)Home telecommuting.
(7)Child care, home facilities (up to five children).

Would #2 not allow us to have chickens legally?

Finn's Mom :

chiclet, maybe craigslist? Hobby chickens have REALLY taken off out here and we're not so far away.

Good idea. I'll try it.​

Quote:
As far as I remember, there's something else more specific that prohibits chickens. Also be careful if you try this route, this is for R3 districts ... 3 dwellings per acre. In my R1 area, I'm on a ~150'x300' lot, so I don't have anywhere that's more than 100' from any property line. I can't see how a 1/3 acre (R3) property of any shape could have any part of it that's more than 100' from any property line.

I've heard from someone who worked in zoning enforcement about some rumblings within FFX County Zoning. It seems that there is a strong push for urban chickens in the McLean area, and it seems likely that it will be allowed sometime in the future. When? Who knows. Nothing ever happens fast in the county. This doesn't mean you can stop voicing your opinion! This is the time to KEEP PUSHING and letting them know you want chickens! It didn't sound like the county is fully comfortable with the idea, but they're getting pressure.

The past few days in the news salmonella tainted eggs have come up. This could be another opportunity to make your voice heard. Write to your county representatives, or better yet, GO VISIT THEM! Be prepared to respond to concerns:

- Why do you want chickens?
- Don't you think your lot is too small considering the health concerns (chicken poop, rodents/pests)?
- What about your neighbors, have you considered the impact on them (noise, infestations)?

Here's a link to a quick post promoting chicken raising, especially now that there's a bit of a health scare in the media: <http://communitychickensmail.com/rd/9z1zpungdhkjumffd1tleu4gm1hmj3r3vp5vjvvua48>

If you write a letter or go visit your representatives, LET US KNOW!. Seeing other people doing something will help spur everyone else to go make a difference. Let us know what you talked about, how the meeting went, who you talked to. If you really do want chickens, it's going to take some work. Keep letting us know what you're doing, keep the drive alive.

Last edited:
I contacted the Braddock Superisor's office an was given a memo prepared for the Chairman of the Board of Supervisors. It says that the issue was placed on the zoning board's list of things to review, but it was not a high enough priority to review this year. The text below is exerpts from a couple e-mail's I got for the Braddock office. The bottom line is people need to contact their Supervisor's offices to continue the momentum and get this examined by the zoning board.

The Fairfax County Zoning Ordinance does not allow chickens to be kept on any property smaller than two acres. I have appended an analysis of the Ordinance from the Zoning Administrator on this topic to the Chairman Bulova dated August 5, 2010, and I hope it will fully explain both the current regulation, and the county's plan to take a further
look at this question. Apparently, the current rules were put in place in 1985 and the county may wish to look at adopting a modification that looks more at setback requirements for chicken coops.

The work plan for each year is set by the Board in June after what amounts to some "horse trading" and much more serious discussions about what volume of work staff feels that they can actually accomplish. For example, in 2009, there were 32 items on the Priority 1 Work Program of which 7 were adopted, and much of it rolled over into 2010. There are 27 items on the 2010 list of which 20 are carried over from 2009.

The list itself is made up of requests for amendments that originate from the Board, the Planning Commission, the BZA, citizens, industry representatives and staff. What I would suggest to you is that around January, you send formal letters to Supervisor Cook and Chairman Bulova who serves at large, and ask that this be added to the Priority list for 2011. I am sure that Supervisor Cook will try to bring it forward, but I must caution you that the cutbacks in Planning Staff that have come about due to the economy, it will be a challenge to get through the items the Board has already endorsed.

Hi everyone.

I live in Fairfax County on .25 of an acre with an HOA that prohibits chicken coops, so there is no question. I can not try chickens in my backyard.

That being said, is there anyone here in Fairfax County or close by that is willing to share or lease a bit of their pasture? I would like to try no more than three to five hens to start, in a portable chicken coop. I would move the coop every day to keep the grass beneath from being scratched to dirt. I would be glad to share the eggs. Is there anyone who has an arrangement like this or any suggestions? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Quote:

The patio is 4 foot by 10 foot.

I've laid plastic trays with sand and cedar on the floor. You can get these at home depot for about $19 - they are used to put under your washing machine. Everything is enclosed in walls made from wire fencing and 2 x 2 lumber. The wall panels are made to disassemble by pulling some pins, then they collapse and fold back.

The two hens walk back and forth on the floor all day scratching and ocassionally hop on a 2 x 4 roost to look out over the river toward the Washington Monument, Jefferson memorial and Reagan airport. The only way to really see them is with binoculars from the airport control tower or a high powered telescope from DC.

Building management usually gives me a weeks notice when they come in to do annual inspections of the AC and plumbing. On those days, the hens go into smaller cages for the day. The coop walls are easily taken down with a few pins to pull and fold back into a recess in the patio they are not likely to look at.

Keeping the cages covered with a tarp keeps the hens quit.

I pull the patio curtain closed just a little so that the stacked coop walls and cages are not viewable from any angle in the living room.

The AC/heating unit is in the living room. The coop is on the outside on the other side of the AC wall.

I've had one unit inspection so far and they never mentioned seeing the hens in the condo.

I try to keep the patio curtain closed on most days in case there is some emergency like a plumbing leak that would warrant the manager or building engineer to enter my unit. If that happens, they usually call me 30 minutes prior. But they are unlikely to look on the patio. More likely to just check out the bathroom and kitchen walls.

Last edited:
I turned in a petition to Gerry Hyland last year, and the Board of Supervisors told Zoning to watch for more interest. Their next meeting is June 14, 2011. If you want Fairfax County to change the law, call the County Board of Supervisors and then zoning administration. Get your friends to call. Spread the word. If you have time, collect names on petitions. Let's get the law changed! Contact me if you want to work together.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom