Fairfax County, VA

Remember that government employees work FOR YOU. You are their boss, and individual citizen voices matter--especially when you can record the echo from many other like-minded voices.

I live in Fairfax County, VA, too and I was also dismayed that the ordinances preclude having backyard hens on lots less than 2 acres. I wonder if there is a way to pursue having the law changed.

Of course there is--find out exactly how the ordinances are passed in your county, and start lobbying the appropriate people for change. The more residents you can get on board, the more likely you are to achieve success.

That was worded poorly - of course there is a way to have the ordinances changed. I was thinking about what the likelihood of success might be. Based upon the response (readers comments) to a Washington Post article on the subject on May 14th, it looks like there isn't a majority of popular support in that vocal community of the larger metro area.

one problem.... if you get chicks, you HAVE to buy 6. thats va law. its called the easter chicken law or something. i agree the assesment that 64 chickens on two acres is somehow less offensive?

Quote:
Hello Madouglas!

From what I've gathered calling around, only a Board of Supervisor member can propose to change the ordinance. So, I have just finished a letter to the Lee District supervisor asking him to consider proposing to change the ordinance. I am not sure what district you are in, but I'm sure a letter to your supervisor wouldn't hurt. I am trying to assemble a group of people interested in helping in case we need more support and I am up to 8.
smile.png
It's small but it's a start. Please e-mail me if you're interested or would like a copy of my letter as an example.

FWIW, with 32 chickens = one bird unit (the amount allowed per acre) the math works out to 14 (let's ignore the .08) on the .44 acre lot of the OP.

I would think that a petition allowing a smaller number on single family residential lots that do not meet that standard would go a long way towards getting the code changed--and the more citizens you can get to sign it, the better. You might ask health food stores and the like if you can have someone collecting signatures outside their doors (or even at a table inside).

I am in the process of creating a informational pamphlet (rough draft is ready) and am setting up a website. My goal is to create a sort of online information portal for Fairfax County Chickens / secure online petition. I'll post as soon as it's ready.

I'm in providence. I don't have much time to draft anything, but if there is something that would be a starting place for a letter I would be happy to adapt it to this case.

Back
Top Bottom