Fairfax County, VA

My family lives in Fairfax County and are hoping to own backyard chickens. I have just found your group and will be signing the petition. Please let me know if there is anything else we can do to help the effort.

Agreed--anyone have a post-meeting update/additional information?

Although I'm unfortunately late to the game for this issue, I did sign the petition & await "membership" on the facebook page. I'm crossing my fingers for a positive outcome!

I really hope this concept (small, self-sustainment options) catches on deeply with Fairfax County & eventually, we could have the option to raise goats, sheep, Alpacas, or other small livestock on lots smaller than 2 acres (animal units scaled to lot sizes, of course!). The possibilities for individuals & families to raise their own milk, meat, eggs, & even by-products like yarn for clothing are limitless if we could do that!

Fairfax County would also certainly reap the great benefits of many citizens able to support themselves--& their neighbors at times--during difficult economic times, as well as during times of local crisis. More self-sustaining residents means these residents require fewer County assets & supports, which equals a more efficient & effective use of limited government funds & shrinking personnel.

Today, many of us are *so disconnected* from how & where our food is grown, yet my grandparents (& probably many of yours!) regularly grew their own vegetables & kept a few animals on a small urban lot similar to mine. I'm trying to show my child that food doesn't simply "magically appear" in the supermarket & being able to raise chickens would be a start.

Thank you all for your efforts!

HI,

My wife and I have been wanting to raise hens for some time now here in Fairfax, but due to our lot size restriction (we have a half acre) we are not permitted to do so. I know that we would like to become involved in helping bring about change to this current regulation. Please let us know what we can do to help!

-J

I saw a sad state of affairs this weekend that I assume must be at least partly due to the ban--there was no chicken competition at the Fairfax County 4-H Fair. They had cattle, swine, sheep, goats, horses, rabbits, and cavies, but no poultry. We moved here from Alameda County California, hardly a rural county (It includes Oakland, Pleasanton, Hayward, Fremont, Livermore, and several other cities.) Households were allowed 6 hens, irrespective of lot size. There were scores of chickens being shown competively at the Alameda County Fair.

This needs to be fixed for our children's sake. 4-H is a great learning experience for kids. When I was a 4-H'er, I did cattle husbandry, but we had 100 acres. Raising chickens gives kids with just a tiny patch of yard a chance to experience the satisfaction of raising a "blue ribbon" farm animal.

I couldn't agree with you more! I'm a transplant from San Jose, CA where I grew up having a few hens and did the same with my babies when they were little, all while living in typical residential neighborhoods, fence to fence. Now that I live in Alexandria I started again (shhhh) for my grand babies. I believe the lessons to be invaluable.

We live in Vienna, VA and are interested in a backyard chicken on 3/4 acre. Let me know where I can sign the petition! When can this go up for a vote? It is about time Fairfax County join the rest of the country in the backyard chicken movement.

Back
Top Bottom