Fairfax County, VA

All,

I just received the following email from a friend:

"... I learned that last year the issue of chickens was put on the Zoning watch list. It is my understanding that they are watching for public interest in the issue. Since there hasn't been any, they were planning to remove it. Their annual meeting is June 14th. If they know there is interest, this is the meeting at which they can take action. So, if you are interested, if you know anyone who is interested in any part of the county, have them call their supervisor before June 14, 2011!"

We used to keep 5 hens in a small yard in Jacksonville Beach Fl but haven't tried here due to the zoning regs. I'd love to do it again so I poked around in the zoning office and found out this topic is on the workplan (i think that was the term used) and it's "second priority." I was recommended to call or email my member on the Board of Supervisors, in my case it's Penny Gross, and let her know what's on my mind. If anyone is still interested, I suggest you do the same!

Stuart

So are there any ordinances here in Jefferson County more specific Shanondale on owning Chickens, Turkeys or Peacocks?

Here's a late update. A couple of months ago I called the zoning office and, as I understand it, the issue to change the chicken regs is listed as a low priority item that's being carried on their books. I don't think they carry these items indefinitely so some addition calls/petitions might be useful.

Here's an interesting petition being gathered by our neighboring county http://www.arlingtoneggproject.org/sign-the-petition.html.

Stuart

Perhaps the originators of the Arlington Egg Project would be willing to help build a website/pettition for those pushing for Fairfax County Hens at Home?

No use reinventing the wheel. Build on their successes and copy what works.

Maybe it would be good for everyone to meet up and organize. There's an event in Arlington on Feb 16th that would be good.

Mark your calendars for Thursday, February 16, 2012 at the Arlington Cinema & Drafthouse for an evening of entertainment and information! Doors open at 6:30pm.

The Arlington Egg Project is thrilled to be partnering with the Arlington Cinema & Drafthouse for a fun evening of comedy, film and discussion about hens and urban agriculture. Join us on February 16th at the Arlington Cinema & Drafthouse as we celebrate urban agriculture & backyard hens in a light hearted way - we will feature live stand-up comedy (family-friendly), the film "Mad City Chickens" and a conversation on urban agriculture with County Board Member, Jay Fisette. Tickets are $5.

http://arlingtoneggproject.com/

Last edited:
Well, I was curious about my 1/3 acre lot that I recently moved to, and emailed the Vienna Zoning Dept. Seems I got a blessing for 2 hens! (which is all I really need)

-BillHoo
-------------------

To: BillHoo
Cc: "Simeck, Frank" <[email protected]>
Date: 01/05/2012 09:59 AM
Subject: RE: Question regarding chickens

I spoke with the Zoning Administrator about your inquiry and I have listed his concerns below.

· We do not allow ‘urban farming’ within the Town limits and egg producing chickens comes pretty close to that definition. A couple (2) pet chickens would likely be permissible on a lot the size that you describe.
· The placement of the coop/housing may be critical to coexistence with neighbors due to potential noise and odor. The Town has a nuisance noise ordinance that could apply if any pet makes an unusual amount of noise or sounds especially during sleeping hours.
· As with any pet proper sanitation measures (waste removal) should be in place.

For our records could you provide us with the address you are proposing this activity.
I hope this information is helpful and should you need further information please contact us.

Clarence Goodson
Zoning Enforcement Inspector
Town of Vienna
127 Center Street, South
(703) 255-5754
[email protected]
www.vennava.gov

Last edited:
After reading detrick's post, I contacted my supervisor and the Fairfax County Department of Planning and Zoning. Here is part of the very thorough reply I got from Lorrie Kirst, a Deputy Zoning Administrator in that office:

"An item that would allow chickens on lots less than 2 acres in size in certain situations is currently on the Priority 2 list of the 2011 Zoning Ordinance Amendment Work Program. This item is scheduled for discussion at the next Development Process Committee of the Board on February 21, 2012 at 10:00 a.m. in Conference Rooms 9/10 of the Fairfax County Government Center (12000 Government Center Parkway; Fairfax, VA 22035). Specifically the Board requested that the regulations for the keeping of chickens in the surrounding jurisdictions be discussed."

They also answered my request for a copy of the current regulations, which were adopted by the Board in 1985 as part of Zoning Ordinance Amendment ZO-85-117. Here's what that regulation says about backyard chickens:

"2-512 Limitations on the Keeping of Animals
3. The keeping of livestock or domestic fowl shall be allowed as an accessory use on any lot of two (2) acres or more in size. The keeping of such livestock or domestic fowl shall be in accordance with the following:
B. The number of domestic fowl kept on a given lot shall not exceed the ratio of one (1) bird unit per one (1) acre, with a bird unit identified as follows:

32 chickens = 1 bird unit"

Further articles in the regulations specify that:

- Structures for domestic fowl cannot be used for retail sales;
- Structures used for the confining or sheltering of poultry must be no closer than 50 feet from a property line

I hope this helps answer some questions that people had. The 1985 regulations are based on the publication "Recommended Guidelines for Home Animal Agriculture in Residential Areas," published by Rutgers University Cooperative Extension in 1982. The Fairfax County Zoning office did not supply a copy of that report in their response, and I've asked them and Rutgers for a copy.

So, in preparation for the February 21st hearing, it would be good for people to prepare more current studies pertaining to the keeping of chickens in suburban backyards. The current regulations, if amended to permit chickens on a smaller lot, would seem to permit about 10 or so chickens on an R-3 (1/3 acre) lot. The 50-foot setback requirement is also burdensome for many homeowners.

My next step is to find out what the jurisdictions surrounding Fairfax County say about backyard chickens, especially Fairfax City, Herndon, Manassas, Arlington County, Prince William County, and Loudon County. If anyone reading this already has links to those jurisdictions' regulations, or copies of them they can post, please post them!

Patton Adams

The forum interface won't let me upload the Rutgers report as an attachment, but send me a private message and I can provide you with a .pdf copy.

Most nearby jurisdictions are more restrictive than Fairfax County is currently. Fairfax County also allows for special zoning permits, if you want more than the permitted number of animals, or if you want animals on a smaller lot than currently permitted. Some other things have to be met, probably including input from or notification of neighbors. I expect that for those who cannot keep their own chickens, a viable alternative is to rent some farm space where the zoning restrictions are not an obstacle.

Patton

Hi all. Just wanted to drop a line and add myself to the group of those interested in backyard chickens in Ffx County. I'm in Springfield on a .5 acre lot backing to parkland. I emailed my supervisor's office last week, but have gotten no response from them.

On top of the county legalities, I also have an HOA issue to contend with, but I would cross that bridge if and when we get to it.

Is anyone on Facebook? I'm thinking I might start a FFX chicken FB group to garner supporters and keep updated on the latest in chicken laws. Anyone interested?

Back
Top Bottom