Faverolles Thread

Got my Faverolles chicks from Valley Hatchery today (plus my Mom's 7 Light Brahmas)! They all look good and strong so far, with nice toe separation and boofy baby beards! I ordered 6 pullets and 2 cockerels, so crossing my fingers that there won't be any 'surprises'...

As for Valley Hatchery itself, there were things I liked about them, and other things I didn't. They tout their birds as being very good quality, and from what I can tell this early on, mine look to be. The shipping is also included in the price of the chicks, which I really liked! Minimum order is 15 chicks (25 bantams), at least 5 of a breed. *They just changed their policy where chicks can only be ordered in multiples of 5 unless you are ordering extra cockerels* Anyway, their website is easy to navigate, and the checkout is straightforward.
What I found to be less than appealing was their communication. After my order was placed, I received an automated confirmation email that stated that I would receive my hatch date within 5-8 business days. I waited 2 weeks for it, and then emailed them. I was given a pretty prompt response with my hatch date, and replied with a question (to a customer service rep's email... not a bot email) to which I never got an answer. Whatever. So, fast forward to this week... my hatch date was the 22nd, so I emailed to confirm on the 20th. No response. I emailed again from the contact form on the website that afternoon... no response. I waited until the 22nd for word from someone... nothing. After work that day, I called and finally got in touch with someone. They couldn't find my order, and said I must not have a hatch date set yet. I cut them off and quoted my email, and they put me on hold. Found my order, saying it was due to the change in their ordering policy that it wasn't showing up, but that my hatch date was for that day and they should ship out the following morning. About 7:30 that evening I got an email saying my order had shipped, but there was no tracking info included... just a summary of what I had purchased. Chicks arrived the following day, which was impressive, but I was perturbed that the package did include a tracking number that I never received. I almost missed picking them up today had I not gotten the message from the post office in time to make it over there.

I guess I should give them the benefit of the doubt, since they have just started being endorsed by a particular chicken blogger and have probably been swamped with orders because of it, but I'll be thinking twice before ordering from Valley again. I really don't like being kept in the dark, especially when it comes to my birds. >:|

I have never heard of Valley Hatchery. They claim to have exhibition quality, yet there are no pictures of their birds. It will be interesting to see how they turn out.

Sharing my faverolle/cochin cross.. looks like its gonna be the color of dad (columbian) with the beard and 5 toes of the faverolle... should be interesting to see how it develops..

Here is dad..

And one of them mom..lol

Hello everyone, I was told to try this here. These birds are from R Fuzzy Butt Poultry farm in Coquille Oregon.
I have 4 salmon faverolles chicks, they are just over 2 weeks old.
The first one to hatch was pure yellow, has the smallest wing feathers and likes to peck at me. I suspect a cockerel. The second has black racing stripes and some darker wing feathers. I am confused about this one. The last two are almost identical, mostly yellow, mostly salmon wings, I suspect they are pullets. What do you think?

#1 cockerel?

#2 confused?

#3 pullet?

#4 pullet?

Hello everyone, I was told to try this here. These birds are from R Fuzzy Butt Poultry farm in Coquille Oregon.
Hi Candace,
I am pretty new to sexing Favs so take this with a grain of salt. I do better when I can see the shoulder feathers coming in. Because of that, 2, 3 and 4 look like pullets to me. I can't see the shoulder for number 1.

Hi Candace,
I am pretty new to sexing Favs so take this with a grain of salt. I do better when I can see the shoulder feathers coming in. Because of that, 2, 3 and 4 look like pullets to me. I can't see the shoulder for number 1. 

#1 does not have any shoulder feathers coming in, even though it hatched a full day before the others. The wing shape is different than the others also.

Back
Top Bottom