Faverolles Thread

And another one broody....that's 6 times in one year and 3 months with 4 faverolles. I have 6 buff orpingtons and I can only keep 4 of them but if this is how these girls are I am thinking for parting with two of the faverolles. Hard, decisions decisions

Have my first broody. My SF has decided to go broody at about a year old. Thankfully, I have a "chicken" friend nearby trying to hatch eggs in an incubator since none of hers are broody, so it worked out that I was able to get 5 fertilized eggs to put under her. This is my first try at hatching (although Nugget is really doing all ofthe work!) so I'm a little nervous. I'd love for her to be able to raise some little ones.

Have my first broody. My SF has decided to go broody at about a year old. Thankfully, I have a "chicken" friend nearby trying to hatch eggs in an incubator since none of hers are broody, so it worked out that I was able to get 5 fertilized eggs to put under her. This is my first try at hatching (although Nugget is really doing all ofthe work!) so I'm a little nervous. I'd love for her to be able to raise some little ones.

Nugget.....cute name

Sorry. Will faverolles skratch up my garden loads? I know they have fethered feet? Also will 2 faverolles bully 1 silkie?

Sorry. Will faverolles skratch up my garden loads? I know they have fethered feet? Also will 2 faverolles bully 1 silkie?

I need chicken has the potential to scratch up your garden. My garden is raised bed and mine tend to stay away from them
Also any chicken has a tendency to bully any other chicken every chickens temperament is different. Mine are picking on the little buff orpington chicks but have slowly grown accustomed to them.

I have SF chicks hatching and one has quite a bit of black-almost chipmunk striping? Has anyone else seen this before?
(And just to clarify-there was not cross contamination lol...2 coops set up with just faverolles for almost a year.)

Has anyone noticed any correlation between the chicks with black markings and their adult colors/sex/etc?

I have SF chicks hatching and one has quite a bit of black-almost chipmunk striping? Has anyone else seen this before?
(And just to clarify-there was not cross contamination lol...2 coops set up with just faverolles for almost a year.)

Has anyone noticed any correlation between the chicks with black markings and their adult colors/sex/etc?
When i first fell in love with Favs. it was hatchery chicks….they were creamy…My first special birds from 2 breeders were also creamy yellow….Only in the last few years have i seen touches of dark or subtle striping both hatchery and breeder. I prefer creamy because that is what i started with….that being said i have experienced a few other experienced breeders chicks with dark marks….They have matured into very lovely birds too, you wouldn't know they were different at birth. How they finish is what is important, if i hadn't banded them i wouldn't have known.

Back
Top Bottom