Favorite vegetable varities

I think Celebrity is a hybrid.

It is....runs on gas and electricity....JK....

Not only is it my go-to, but a staple variety at almost.....(probably ALL)....the places that sell live tomato plants in my area.....

It's certainly not worth my time and effort to start such a common variety from seed....but....that's just me.....

I only grow one a year....and for about $1-$1.50.. I'll just grab one off the shelf....already a foot tall and hardened off....

I'm planting onions this fall, wanted to know the best sweet onion thinking about getting the Texas super sweet, what's the pros and cons?

I assume you mean the 10-15Y.....sometimes called "Texas Supersweet"....

I just can't seem to grow onions....no matter what....they just don't get big for me...

Anyway...there are two basic kinds of onions: Long day and short day, with long day varieties recommended for zones above 7....and short day 7 and south....

That's probably most important.....but then we have two more types....sweet onions....and non-sweet....

Sweet onions have less sulfur content....(and Granex and 10-15Y are sweet short day).....while 'Sweet Bermuda' is a sweet long day....(IIRC)....

So....outside of daylight length requirements, the next biggest difference is sweetness, or sulfur content....if you have sampled Yellow onions.....and Sweet Yellow onions....the difference is obvious.....

Now.....pretty much a given....that non-sweet onions keep longer than sweet....

We could talk about the difference between red, white, and yellow....but, then again....we could talk about potatoes.....

When do you plant your onions, 1FlewOver? And what's everyone's favorite potatoes, I have Irish cobbler, reba, and red lasoda

First off....@ lazy gardener....I was joking around...but Celebrity is definitely a hybrid.....

Now.....copper2.....BUSTED!!!!! Yeah....too late...although I'm getting better...probably late January this year...(maybe even February) ...(I can't remember for sure)...

My favorite potatoes: Yukon Gold, grocery store russets and reds, McDonald's, hash browns, and Jack in the Box curly fries.....:/

[/quote]My favorite potatoes: Yukon Gold, grocery store russets and reds, McDonald's, hash browns, and Jack in the Box curly fries.....:/[/quote]

Lol!!
1f605.png

Last edited:
I think your supposed to plant onions here in October from seed, short day varieties( extra sweet!) what are some cool pepper varieties? I have " traveler strain jalpeno" and " lipstick sweet pepper" I want to get " fooled you jalpeno) but it's a f1( I don't want to grow f1's )

I think your supposed to plant onions here in October from seed, short day varieties( extra sweet!) what are some cool pepper varieties? I have " traveler strain jalpeno" and " lipstick sweet pepper" I want to get " fooled you jalpeno) but it's a f1( I don't want to grow f1's )

WAIT!!!! WHAT???? F1????? It's been awhile since I did any jackin with worrying about whats what.....is F1.... "first generation hybrid?"

So far....I've really just been getting plants....saved seed...but never really grew out the plants....

Back
Top Bottom