Feather damage

Quote:
atm I keep them inside house in closet do to cold weather and Wer sick I bought them in these conditions... I had no idea about chickens but learned a lot past 2 weeks... I change bedding twice a day.. Canker sores in mouth respiratory infections along with quill mites... And who knows what else... But canker and respiratory under control with right meds... Just the quill mites to deal with.... And I hope that's all.. Lol. Thanks for the advice
1f44d.png
What type of meds for the canker? Metronidazole?
How much ventilation does the closet have? Are they able to get fresh air from the outside? I also notice in pictures they have a heat lamp? How warm is that, and do they have access to natural light as well? I see you are in Alaska, what weather conditions were they kept in before you got them?

Shoot!!
1f624.png
1f624.png
1f624.png
so after all that today I came home to care for me birds on my lunch break... My rooster poop out watery poop like it usually does... But.... Today immediately I noticed moving twitching from the poop... A closer look reveals I think round worms... About 1/4 in look like small noodles.. Disgusting!! What else is going on!! Mayb the DE and last nights ivermectin treatment doing its job?? I've never noticed the worms moving like that. Until today after last nights treatment with ivermectin...
What type of food/treats do you normally feed?
DE is not generally effective for worm infestations, you will need to treat them with a dewormer/wormer.
Valbazen 1/2 ml orally and then repeated in 10 days for each chicken is an excellent wormer. Fenbendazole (Safeguard, Panacur) is also good at 1/4 ml per pound for 5 days in a row. (I've also given you links for different types of worms (has photos) and treatment for them).

Can you provide them with a tub of dirt for dust bathing. You can add a bit of DE if you wish, but I would watch it especially if you have ventilation problems and the chickens have had a respiratory problem, DE (IMO) is very hard on the breathing (for them and us humans). I prefer just plain 'ol dirt with wood ash. If you don't have any dirt, sand could be used.

Some helpful articles on worm treatments:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/11/control-treatment-of-worms-in-chickens.html
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/answers-from-chicken-vet-on-worming.html
https://poultrykeeper.com/general-chickens/worming-chickens/

Quote:
What type of meds for the canker? Metronidazole?
How much ventilation does the closet have? Are they able to get fresh air from the outside? I also notice in pictures they have a heat lamp? How warm is that, and do they have access to natural light as well? I see you are in Alaska, what weather conditions were they kept in before you got them?

What type of food/treats do you normally feed?
DE is not generally effective for worm infestations, you will need to treat them with a dewormer/wormer.
Valbazen  1/2 ml orally and then repeated in 10 days for each chicken is an excellent wormer. Fenbendazole (Safeguard, Panacur) is also good at 1/4 ml per pound for 5 days in a row. (I've also given you links for different types of worms (has photos) and treatment for them).

Can you provide them with a tub of dirt for dust bathing. You can add a bit of DE if you wish, but I would watch it especially if you have ventilation problems and the chickens have had a respiratory problem, DE (IMO) is very hard on the breathing (for them and us humans). I prefer just plain 'ol dirt with wood ash. If you don't have any dirt, sand could be used.
I'm not sure the type of med using for canker cause it's a Thailand product Wer that's all they do... It powder form brownish/red in color and smells like penicillin ? That for canker and sores in mouth are gone... Another Thailand med call super green plus suppose to treat respiratory ..which he had cough sneeze with rattle flem from throat and that too is almost gone... B4 I got the meds mentioned I started out with vetrx to buy time until meds arrives.... Those seems to b under control.. But I noticed I think is quill mites attacking feathers so last night I treated with ivermectin to the necks... I had no clue they had worms... Today on lunch came home to care for them... The rooster poop watery which they been doing off and on solid normal then watery...today was different when he poop I immediately noticed movement in the poop .. A closer look reveals very small whitish worms about 1/4 in long or so and twitching fast!! Not sure if round or hook worms?? I bought the birds at 4 months old about 3 weeks ago in these conditions... The owner cage them with mix chickens and pigeons above in a different section but same coop... And seems poor ventilation ...I wonder how long they've been sick?? Probably since birth??.at the time I knew absolutely nothing bout chickens that's how I ended up paying $150 for 2 chickens ..the owner claimed his electric bill was getting high so he cut the lights heat source causing them to get cold and possibly got sick.. These type can't take too much cold....since birds in my hands they been well taken care of... Good diet water veggies. Yes they have good ventilation and 250 watt red heat lamp. Cause it can get cold downstairs near the garage..I change their bedding and cloth bathe them twice a day.. He was bong chest bone sticking out compared to the hen when I first got them and no food in crop and will only eat small amounts... Now after few weeks I've noticed big difference and the rooster is eating like there's no tomorrow keeping a full to med crop... Who knows Wat else is going on?? ...! I should of used the wazine first then the ivermectin ... But ivermectin was treat last night.. So do I wait to use the wazine?? I have a feeling the reason they are not recovering because of other infestation of parasites..preventing a full and fast recovery.... So far all meds used are as follow...vetrx, canker powder, respiratory, (Thailand med), duramycin , electrolyetes..since I brought them home. As of last night the ivermectin and a few deworming pellets today. Hopefully I'm not overloading them.

Some helpful articles on worm treatments:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/11/control-treatment-of-worms-in-chickens.html
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/answers-from-chicken-vet-on-worming.html
https://poultrykeeper.com/general-chickens/worming-chickens/

Especially Read post # 8 of this thread. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/334337/treating-for-mites-and-de-worming-at-the-same-time

QUOTED BY DAWG53 "if you use ivermectin prior to using wazine17 and your chickens are possibly infested with worms,you could possibly kill your chickens from the toxicity from the dead worm overload. Ivermectin kills many many types of worms. Wazine17 gets rid of one type of worm,the most common type that chickens have...roundworms. You use the wazine first to lessen the wormload to prevent toxicity,then 2 weeks later use the ivermectin pour on to kill roundworm larva and a host of other worms. BTW, wazine only paralyzes roundworms,ivermectin kills them all,except tapeworms."

I think I would treat with Wazine FIRST, then go with the Ivermectin to rid of the feather mites. If you can get intestinal health under control, then your birds will be able to use their nutrition more efficiently to help fight whatever illnesses that may linger.

Last edited:
Especially Read post # 8 of this thread. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/334337/treating-for-mites-and-de-worming-at-the-same-time

QUOTED BY DAWG53   "if you use ivermectin prior to using wazine17 and your chickens are possibly infested with worms,you could possibly kill your chickens from the toxicity from the dead worm overload. Ivermectin kills many many types of worms. Wazine17 gets rid of one type of worm,the most common type that chickens have...roundworms. You use the wazine first to lessen the wormload to prevent toxicity,then 2 weeks later use the ivermectin pour on to kill roundworm larva and a host of other worms. BTW, wazine only paralyzes roundworms,ivermectin kills them all,except tapeworms."

I think I would treat with Wazine FIRST, then go with the Ivermectin to rid of the feather mites. If you can get intestinal health under control, then your birds will be able to use their nutrition more efficiently to help fight whatever illnesses that may linger.
ive already use the ivermectin last night
1f631.png
I hope they are not too invested.
1f61e.png
Don't want to lose my birds.

Careful. Disease / parasite issues can be unpleasant but be careful to avoid over treatment. Initially external parasites were target then suddenly internal parasites now with concern of birds surviving treatment.

What are birds currently being fed?

Careful. Disease / parasite issues can be unpleasant but be careful to avoid over treatment. Initially external parasites were target then suddenly internal parasites now with concern of birds surviving treatment.

What are birds currently being fed?
mix scratch with more layer pellets veggies and few dried meal worms every evening... I have multi drench in water. I think once I get the quill mites and worms under control they should make a fast recovery... Fingers crossed hope for the best... Thank u

Back
Top Bottom