Fenbendazole dosing (again)

OMG I love this resource! I now know how much fenbendazole to give a leopard!

Interestingly this is what it says on fenbendazole dosing:

BIRDS:
a) For Ascarids: 10–50 mg/kg PO once; repeat in 10 days. Do not use during molt (may cause stunted feathers) or while nesting.
- For flukes or microfilaria: 10–50 mg/kg PO once daily for 3 days
- For Capillaria: 10–50 mg/kg PO once daily for 5 days. Is not effective against gizzard worms in finches. (Clubb 1986)
b) For nematodes, some trematodes: 10–50 mg/kg PO once daily for 3–5 days; 20–100 mg/kg oral single dose range; 125 mg/Lof drinking water for 5 days (50 mg/Lfor 5 days in finches); or 100 mg/kg of feed for 5 days. Not recommended to be used in breeding season during molting. (Marshall 1993)
c) Ratites: 15 mg/kg PO once daily for 3 days. Has efficacy against ostrich tapeworm. (Houttuynia struthionus) (Jenson 1998)

The bold emphasis is mine.
I guess now I know where the treat once and repeat approach comes from. Although Plumb doesn't source it either.
Great resource, isn't it? I wish I had screenshotted the reference from the newer revision.

I also have this:
1672178584426.png

That looks like a fun book!
I notice that for Ascarids he is also a supporter of the treat once and then again in 10 days (rather than the 5 days thing).
I am not really feeling less confused, but feeling reassured that my confusion is possibly not based on my own stupidity but on conflicting views among experts!
So ..... in the end, what should I do?!
:idunno

That looks like a fun book!
I notice that for Ascarids he is also a supporter of the treat once and then again in 10 days (rather than the 5 days thing).
I am not really feeling less confused, but feeling reassured that my confusion is possibly not based on my own stupidity but on conflicting views among experts!
So ..... in the end, what should I do?!
:idunno
Five days in a row is gonna get most worms, that's what I would do.

@casportpony
I saw some older threads where you were looking at the reports that fenbendazole is not to be used during molt.
I came across this - p424 if it doesn't link to the right paper. The table on feather issues is quite helpful and it looks like fenbendazole can cause two types of feather issue, both of which get corrected at the next molt.
Thought you might be interested.

https://wavd.org/wp-content/uploads/wcvd8-proceedings.pdf#page=424

Back
Top Bottom