First Egg Countdown

Alrighty, I'll join in.

Welsummer pullet, 23 1/2 weeks. Eagerly awaiting her egg as she's the first from my breeding. I just hope and pray the egg is as beautiful as she is. Saw her "investigating" the nest box this morning.
fl.gif

IMG_3819.jpg

I have barnevelders too, but they're only 13 weeks, so I have a ways to go for them!
Pretty pullet.

All 4 of my girls are officially laying! Been getting 4 eggs a day for the last 3 days!! Yesterday, one egg was even bigger than the large store bought eggs we still have! :) Both of my Speckled Sussex's turned out to be roo's, so I had to get rid of one. :( So just a small flock of 5 now. They are so addictive!

Quote: Congrats on the eggs
yesss.gif
sorry about your roo.
Thanks!!! I'll survive. I was just kinda hoping to get babies from them! :) A chance we take when buying them from a farm store I suppose. I really want a few more chickens of different breeds, all my girls are red pullets (like quadruplets!) Ive spent tons of time with them, but still can't tell them apart. If I order them from a hatchery, won't it be the same thing, luck of the draw?

Chicken math is inevitable. ;)
Some hatcheries let you order just one or two adult birds. One downside is that they're kind of wild when they come, but you can order any breed and they're female. I just received a Marans and an EE from Murray McMurray. The shipping price is steep, and the birds were much younger than promised (8 weeks instead of 16), but on the bright side they are both female, healthy, and hopefully I can tame them to trust me a little more. I think if there was a farm nearby I would have just called and asked to purchase a couple of started pullets. If that's an option for you, I suggest the farm.
I began wanting just two birds, and now I have 8!

Yippee! My 19-week-old golden-laced wyandotte laid her first egg. Obviously, it's the one on the right. She didn't lay it in the nesting boxes, but right under them in the corner. She was laying in this spot yesterday and acting like she was going to lay, but waited until today. Hopefully, she'll catch on to the nesting boxes. My red sex link laid her first egg at 14 weeks and started right out in the nesting boxes just like the big chicks.

Gratz. We had an shellless egg when I got home from work last night. Hopefully that will clear itself up with the 2nd egg.

I had about a week of shell-less eggs from one of my girls after several weeks of reliable laying. I think I was overdoing the scratch grains & treats so they werent eating any layer feed. I added oyster shell directly into layer feed, Cut the scratch grain back to about a half a cup a day. Within three days shells were back to normal.

Back
Top Bottom