First Egg Hype!!

BeccaDoe

Songster
Jun 19, 2019
Aylett, VA
I was not expecting them to lay until next year because of the temperature and dwindling light.

But I found the first egg in the coop they don't sleep in!! It's beautiful! I'm not sure which of the six laid it, but woo!!

20191114_153045.jpg

Feel free to add your first egg pictures too!
(And because I'm a newbie, is it possible to tell if it's fertilized this early? It was just laid today 11/14/19)

Crack it open to check fertility by looking for the bullseye - you don't want to be hatching early 'pullet eggs' as they are still working out the kinks in their system and the eggs are often undersized - leading to poor chick health. Wait till their laying is consistent and the eggs are a decent size. In the meantime, enjoy those tasty eggs!

Congratulations! What sort of chickens do you have? Just curious. I have a SLW, a GLW, an EE and an Australorp, all about 16 weeks old, and I was assuming that they would not lay until next Feb / March due to the short daylight hours.
I have a Buff Orpington, two Isa Browns, a Black Australorp, a Silver Laced Wyandotte, and a New Hampshire Red. My girls hatched in early June, so they're almost half a year.

Back
Top Bottom