First time chicken owner

Sammysam1164

Hatching
Mar 29, 2024
Hi everyone! I’m a high school teacher and some of my students are in a construction class, so they’re building me a coop! My 6 chicks will be coming in May. I need all the helpful tips!! Everything from what bedding and feeder are best, to fun enrichment ideas! I’ll add a photo to this post because I’m so proud of them!! (They’re still in the process of painting)

Thanks everyone!! 😊
IMG_6621.jpeg

:welcome Welcome!! Glad you joined. That is fabulous! Your excitement is understandable. My bestie has been a high school Art teacher for many years. So rewarding!! This place will definitely help you with the journey. Are they coming via mail or local store or ?? We can help with what to do as soon as you get them to make sure they thrive. There are different approaches but armed with the options, you'll make your own choices. My favorite threads are these. ENJOY!!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/yes-you-certainly-can-brood-chicks-outdoors.68067/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...and-start-raising-your-chicks-outdoors.71995/

Hiya, and welcome to BYC!! :frow

Super neat project! ❤️

You may want to peruse our Learning Center. You'll find articles by our members regarding just about anything concerning raising poultry.

Good luck with your chicks when you get them!

Hi everyone! I’m a high school teacher and some of my students are in a construction class, so they’re building me a coop! My 6 chicks will be coming in May. I need all the helpful tips!!
Oh cool what breed? Also welcome to BYC
Everything from what bedding
I use large flake pine shavings( for chicks and adults). Key tip :never use cedar shavings, I'm 90% sure they are toxic.
feeder are best,
I just use whatever waterers they sell at tractor supply and same with the feeder

to fun enrichment ideas!
I'm not great with these as I free range and my birds get plenty of enrichment from that
I’ll add a photo to this post because I’m so proud of them!! (They’re still in the process of painting)
That's a super cool highschool project

My favorite feed is kalmbach 16% laying crumbles!

Any other questions I will do my best to answer!

Hi everyone! I’m a high school teacher and some of my students are in a construction class, so they’re building me a coop! My 6 chicks will be coming in May. I need all the helpful tips!! Everything from what bedding and feeder are best, to fun enrichment ideas! I’ll add a photo to this post because I’m so proud of them!! (They’re still in the process of painting)

Thanks everyone!! 😊View attachment 3785714
My birds don’t like the xylophone, but some chickens have been known to play it with their beak. Of course they don’t sound too great, but the important part is that they have fun.

Back
Top Bottom