First Time Egg Candler Scared!

Uh oh, sidewing's singing now
lau.gif

Do they look more full if you candle them from the top of the egg? Shining the light into the air cells and down?

Problem with that is movement now, doesn't indicate everything would be ok. My first hatch (bad thermometer) my chicks were behind going into lockdown and I could see movement in everyone of them..17 eggs. I only ended up with one hatching at day 24 and surviving. One hatched day 25 and died. I certainly don't want to be discouraging, and I am hoping to see some hatching here, just keeping it real. It really depends on how much delayed development we are looking at.

My first hatch did the same thing. Looked good until lockdown. Three thermometers and all read differently. Have TS still air bator with digital readings and that's a laugh. Needed a fan. This is my second try after only one chick hatched for my first incubation. So discouraging.

My first hatch did the same thing. Looked good until lockdown. Three thermometers and all read differently. Have TS still air bator with digital readings and that's a laugh. Needed a fan. This is my second try after only one chick hatched for my first incubation. So discouraging.
You have the little giant 9300? Those don't have the best reviews. For one just about everyone that I have seen has had to set the thermostat 2-3 degrees higher than the temp they want in order to get the temp they want and the placement and movement of that probe that hangs down can throw it way off as well.

You have the little giant 9300? Those don't have the best reviews. For one just about everyone that I have seen has had to set the thermostat 2-3 degrees higher than the temp they want in order to get the temp they want and the placement and movement of that probe that hangs down can throw it way off as well.

Yes, you are right. Little Giant 9300. Wished I knew prior. I have to set it up to 102-103 to get the other thermometers to register 99! I am so disappointed and wished I didn't get this one. And the humidity is not as bad but the digital temp on bator is not trustworthy. Im on day 14 and only saw movement in three but I'm still keeping fingers crossed. I had on my first hatch 7 chicks that died at lockdown. Had perfectly formed with yolk still there....I said I will try one more time then ditch the bator. Thanks for all your help....:)

I would not judge an incubator from shipped eggs. How many of "yours" did you start with? Out of my 13 shipped eggs 12 are dead. I also put in the 14 local eggs and 13 look great at this point. If I had judged my incubator from only my shipped eggs I would be throwing it out. Mine seemed to have 4 degree temp swings according to a digital thermometer, but when I use the temp gun on the eggs they are 100.1 at the middle of the egg constantly.

I started with 30. 12 shipped via Ebay, 12 from a friend and the rest mine. Only one of mine hatched....?????? If one hatched what was wrong with my others and the local 12? One of the Ebay CLB's was almost hatched....

Yes, you are right. Little Giant 9300. Wished I knew prior. I have to set it up to 102-103 to get the other thermometers to register 99! I am so disappointed and wished I didn't get this one. And the humidity is not as bad but the digital temp on bator is not trustworthy. Im on day 14 and only saw movement in three but I'm still keeping fingers crossed. I had on my first hatch 7 chicks that died at lockdown. Had perfectly formed with yolk still there....I said I will try one more time then ditch the bator. Thanks for all your help....:)
Did you have a fan installed? Still air should be 101-102F taken near the top of the eggs, so 99 in a still air would probably cause them to be a little delayed at hatch time. No you can't trust the gages in the incubators unless they've been checked. Actually you can't trust any thermometer, even brand new ones unless they've been checked.

Did you have a fan installed? Still air should be 101-102F taken near the top of the eggs, so 99 in a still air would probably cause them to be a little delayed at hatch time. No you can't trust the gages in the incubators unless they've been checked. Actually you can't trust any thermometer, even brand new ones unless they've been checked.

I need a fan...TS didn't have one when I looked. I did see the bator with the fan already installed and if I knew what I know now, I would never buy the still air. TS should not see them either. This time I kept the temp way up so that on the store bought temp registered at least 99-100. So variable and so frustrating. I bought an hydrometer/thermometer combination and that reading is off the charts.....Can't say enough bad about this bator....

I need a fan...TS didn't have one when I looked. I did see the bator with the fan already installed and if I knew what I know now, I would never buy the still air. TS should not see them either. This time I kept the temp way up so that on the store bought temp registered at least 99-100. So variable and so frustrating. I bought an hydrometer/thermometer combination and that reading is off the charts.....Can't say enough bad about this bator....
You wouldn't be the only one. I hatch in an older little giant 9200 model. It takes a lot of babysitting, but it's better than the new and "improved" 9300 and 10300 models. I do want to get the Hovabator 1588 (picture window) one before next year. I only plan to do one more hatch this year and most likely won't get it before that.

I need a fan...TS didn't have one when I looked.  I did see the bator with the fan already installed and if I knew what I know now, I would never buy the still air.  TS should not see them either.  This time I kept the temp way up so that on the store bought temp registered at least 99-100.  So variable and so frustrating.  I bought an hydrometer/thermometer combination and that reading is off the charts.....Can't say enough bad about this bator....
That incubator is so readily available that everyone is trying it, including myself, and the reviews are just horrendous. I wish TSC would stock some higher end incubators. That 9300 is going to turn a lot of people off from incubating

That incubator is so readily available that everyone is trying it, including myself, and the reviews are just horrendous. I wish TSC would stock some higher end incubators. That 9300 is going to turn a lot of people off from incubating
Little Giant manufactures need to pull it and rethink their mechanics of it. TSC needs to carry more than one brand in stores. They sell the farm innovators on line through tsc, why can't they carry it in store?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom