Flies no more!! Found the perfect fly repellent.

Maybe it has something to do with the ratio of vanilla smell to chicken poop smell. If the vanilla smell is stronger, than no flies; If the poop smell is stronger, flies.

Last edited:
Quote:
Could be. I do use plenty of the trees in each coop. Also, we really strive to keep the coops very clean and use DE and stall dry to help dry up the poop so it isn't as attractive to flies. So maybe it really is a combination of clean coops, no dirty shavings on the property and the vanilla smell.

I went out and got the vanilla trees after reading this on July 4 because our fly population was getting out of control with all the rains we had. The flys are not completely gone but drastically reduced. I even put one in our kitchen because with the door there I was getting them inside and I HATE them inside. It worked there as well to cut numbers drastically to one every few days and the swatter got them quick. So it may not be a cure but it sure did help.

Another use for vanilla and maybe a smell clue. My sister had a freezer lose power and didn't find it for weeks. YUCK. She had the freezer out to go to the dump when an old neighbor guy asked why she was throwing it out. When she told him she couldn't get the smell out....bleach, baking soda you name it nothing worked, he told her to put Pure vanilla extract in it. She bought one small bottle at the grocery store, poured it into a bowl and shut the freezer door. In 24hrs the smell was gone. So maybe it absorbs the smell rather than overpouring it and that's why the flies are leaving the coops. Maybe something in the 'pure' allows the absorption.

Quote:
Now that is very interesting. That's probably why my coops don't smell like chicken poop at all. I use probably 4-5 trees in a 6X8 coop and as soon as they start to lose their strength...about 2-3 weeks...I hang another beside it. Eventually I take them down when they have lost all smell...about 6 weeks. Also, they never get wet. That would surely diminish their strength quickly.

I'll have to look for an air freshener that could be used in a run where it gets wet.

I'm on a mission.......!!
big_smile.png

Try putting them under a ziploc bag so they arent rained on but the smell still comes out just an idea. Guess who is heading to the auto store?
hugs.gif
thanks for great tip! Gonna try em in the horse stall too! Maybe cut a piece for her bridle, flies love her nose!

I decided to try this after reading this thread. I bought a bunch of the vanilla scented trees. The guy at the auto parts store looked at me funny and said, "you know these are six packs, right?"
lol.png

I opened one up in the truck on the way home. WOW! I will never use that scent in my truck.
sickbyc.gif

I have about 4 of them hung in the pen and tractor. I noticed a significant reduction in flies, but am not sure I love the smell.
roll.png
Now that they have been up for a couple of weeks, the flies seem to be returning, but it is also time to rake the run. Probably also time to hang a new air freshener. I think they are somewhat effective, when coupled with good coop and run maintenance. I'll keep doing it.
smile.png

Walmart has the 6 pack for $3.98 in auto section.

I have some crystals you add scent to. I was thinking of trying the vanilla in there as they hold scent alot longer. Although I am up to 3 weeks have 3 hangining in the 10' x 12' coop and still going strong so far. Now the girls are expecting curtains though.

has anyone tried tot ake the trees and pour a bit of vanilla extract on them so you do not have to keep buying them? I know if you soaked them in it they would get soggy and maybe fall apart. What about the plug ins for those with power to the coop, anyone try vanilla scented ones?

Back
Top Bottom