FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Oh and I also see where you are. lol I get confused on here still sorry about the questions already answered. That's kinda far from here!
If you're the person from Callahan who drove down for GLW pullets ... I have some Ameracauna cockerels here that are extras. I was going to caponize them, but the weather and the yellow flies did not co-operate, so they are all still 100% cockerel.

If you're the person from Callahan who drove down for GLW pullets ... I have some Ameracauna cockerels here that are extras. I was going to caponize them, but the weather and the yellow flies did not co-operate, so they are all still 100% cockerel.
How do you caponize them? Very interested in this!

No I am not the the one, but where are you from Jacksonville? I'm really looking for hens. We actually have our very first eggs in the incubator. Hopefully our hatch goes smooth. But I am still looking for easter eggers. or an olive egger

South west fl here! Venice! Anyone in this area (sarasota down to pc) interested in splitting ahipping costs from mcmurry or my pet chicken to get some babies? Theres one local place but their conditions are disgusting.. bought 3 (after i already had my 9) and all 3 died..

How do you caponize them? Very interested in this!
I learned from a huge thread in the Meat Birds section, started by Kassaundra. Lots of pictures, advice, encouragement, and whatnot. Recently I saw another thread that also has pictures. It's basically surgery to remove the testes. It isn't for everyone.

No I am not the the one, but where are you from Jacksonville? I'm really looking for hens. We actually have our very first eggs in the incubator. Hopefully our hatch goes smooth. But I am still looking for easter eggers. or an olive egger
I am about an hour and half south of Jax down US 17 ... southern Putnam County. I am not willing to sell the few hens/pullets I have - it's a very broody line and that is why I have them along with Silkies. Good luck on your hatch! I have my second batch of eggs in the incubator (and now 9 eggs under a broody Am hen) and am hoping I made all the newbie mistakes on that first hatch. I only got 2 out of 27 eggs, but learned a lot from it. (blog post on troubleshooting the non-hatch)

I am about an hour and half south of Jax down US 17 ... southern Putnam County. I am not willing to sell the few hens/pullets I have - it's a very broody line and that is why I have them along with Silkies. Good luck on your hatch! I have my second batch of eggs in the incubator (and now 9 eggs under a broody Am hen) and am hoping I made all the newbie mistakes on that first hatch. I only got 2 out of 27 eggs, but learned a lot from it. (blog post on troubleshooting the non-hatch)
I read your blog and the sources of information you cited in your blog. Here in Florida heat can be an issue in fertile eggs. Years past I did some incubating year round but my best hatches were during the late winter into and during the spring months. I also don't give my breeder birds laying feed, I give them a higher protein feed such as Game Bird Breeder which is around 21% protein prior to my breeding season. If the temperature in the incubator spikes, the duration of the temperature change can be a factor. I have had spikes but apparently it wasn't for too long of a period as I still had a good hatch. Also one winter when I had eggs in the incubator on a very cold day my incubator was at 78ºF after the power had been out for awhile. It was at night so when the power went out I didn't know it. I had a battery jump starter for my car that was charged up so I hooked it up to my incubator with an inverter so I could plug the incubator in and the temperature came up, when I candled the eggs I saw movement. Most hatched. With a styrofoam incubator In Florida a lot of different things can affect a hatch. The styrofoam incubators are quite sensitive to outside influences such as being close to a window, air conditioner air flow, or in a room with a door where people can enter and leave their house. A lot of factors can affect them. Some people use closets, or a room that can be shut off from the rest of the house to minimize the outside influences. Humidity also is a huge factor. Incubating at too high of humidity can cause all sorts of problems. In Florida the relative humidity is usually higher especially at night. The eggs need to loose moisture during incubation while they are growing. If a chick dies in the shell often times it can be because the humidity was too high and when the chick internally pipped the air cell in the egg condensation built up and the chick can drown. I incubate at a fairly low humidity around 35% and raise it to around 75% when I take the eggs out of the turner to set them for hatching. I hope you have great hatches. Good luck and have fun...

Daytona Beach
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom