For safety reasons - what age can chicks use 36" roost?

meganne79

In the Brooder
Apr 8, 2017
Colorado
Good morning!
We are getting ready to introduce all our chicks to each other in their big-girl coop. I have a batch that is 5 weeks old and a batch that is 3.5 weeks.

Their roost, which is over a poop board, is 36" high (the board is 32" above the ground) and they have a ramp with 1x1 treads every 3". Is it safe to allow them access to that now or do they need to be older? About half roost on top of a box that is in there so they are at least interested in roosting.

Thanks! Megan

Are you talking about roosting or perching? Not that it really matters to this answer, but just asking. Perching is where they get up on things during the day to play and have fun. Roosting is when they sleep on higher things. My brooder raised chicks often start perching around a week old, but they normally don’t start roosting until around ten or twelve weeks. I’ve had some roost at 5 weeks, but that’s pretty rare. Each brood is different.

I’ve had a broody hen take her chicks to the roosts at night when those chicks were 2 weeks old. Those chicks flew up 2 feet to get to the top of my nests which are on a side wall. Then they flew another 2 feet up and 3 feet horizontal to get to the roosts. I did not see them get down, I assume they flew down that four feet. Young chicks like that can fly pretty well.

Whether yours are roosting or perching I don’t see any safety issues at 3 feet up at those ages. The real question is whether or not they want to get up there. I have no doubt they can if they want to, just when will they want to.

Ok thanks! I'd love to install the ramp and let them up. And thanks for the perching/roosting explanation. Definitely perching during the day but weirdly 1/2 sleep on top of the brooder box I have in the coop. The other half still go into the box to sleep.

Appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom